Jane wipes the mirrors in a frenzy; aware that if she hadn't done a perfect job, her mom would throw Jane under the figurative bus. All because she had some very underwhelming sex. Brenda isn't cleaning her mirror right now. Brenda would never have to clean her bathroom over going to a boy's. And don't get her started on Laci. Jane somehow wipes more feverishly than before.

She slips into a state of overthought; a toxic characteristic that she's become accustomed to in her adolescence. 'Did I speak too loud?' 'They'd judge me if I wear bright pink.' 'I'll never be in a happy relationship.'

She drowns in regret over today's sliver of validation. She was insulted, just to end up scrubbing the toilets.

"What are you all freaking out about?" Her sister leans against the doorway, watching through the mirror.

Jane doesn't decelerate her motion. "I fucked up." 

"What'd you do?" Laci inquires with playful curiosity. She and Jane love to gossip together.

Without slowing productivity, Jane delivers her the sparknotes of tonight's catastrophe. Laci claps her hands to her mouth, cracking up. "Fuck, Jane. Was it even worth it."

She vehemently shakes her head and grabs the supplies, spirits raised by her sister seeing the humor in it all.

Laci follows her to the next bathroom. "I'll help you." She rips a few paper towel sheets for herself, starting on the counter.

Her generosity isn't uncommon. From Jane's view, Laci is well-rounded in every way. Laci is the younger sibling by 2 years, but it was clear from day one that Jane was no longer the favorite. Laci had a higher affinity for academics, earning ice cream trips at the end of each semester. Of course, they brought Jane along, but B's were never celebrated. So, she would order a little extra ice cream for herself to compensate. Laci played volleyball and soccer growing up; the primary attributions to her popularity, or so her elder sister thought. If ever Jane was recognized at school, it was for being Laci's sister.

So whenever her perfect sibling lent a helping hand, the raincloud of resentment poured over Jane's shoulders. She envied her in every way.

"He called me fat, too." Jane releases the thought that's kept her anchored to the seafloor.

She's earned an expected response from Laci. It reminds her why she's her best friend, despite Jane's envy. "What?" Laci processes, mouth agape. She whispers, "Homie. And you still let him put his dirty dick in you?"

"Unfortunately." Jane would cut off her toe to take back this entire day.

"So stupid. So fucking stupid. Who is he again? You said Casper's older brother?"

His little brother John "Casper" is in Laci's grade-an even bigger douchebag. Laci had her run with the superiorly attractive Casper. He'd tried to break her heart, merely stretching it's elasticity, instead. Jane would not recover as well if heartbroken. 

Laci continues on her rant, "This is why we don't fuck the Caspers, Jane, you should have known better!" She swats at her arm. "We're going to their house tonight. We're gonna put instant mashed potatoes and skittles on their lawn."

"There's no way Mom's letting me go anywhere soon."

"Hmmm, I think we can figured it out. No man is getting away with calling my sister any kind of names." Laci stops cleaning. "Ay, forreal."

Jane pauses to look up at her. She's grappled inward by the arm Laci hooked around her shoulder, forced to confront her reflection. "I know you don't like to, but look, dude"