Mindfulness

You saw Draco twitch from the corner of your eye. He reluctantly glanced at his parents and Narcissa nodded at him.

Once all the death eaters had gone from the dining room and into the parlour where Lucius no doubt would have the house elves serving drinks and aperitifs. For once you actually wished you could join Draco at one of the Malfoys dull affairs, but your role was evolving rapidly and you had to learn to play the part.

"Let me look upon you my dear, for such a young witch you bear much confidence in your abilities." Said The Dark Lords raspy voice.

Before you had the chance to lift your head, an invisible force flung your chair out from behind you and you heard it hit the wall with a loud crash. The same invisible force seemed to have taken hold of you as well because your body was forcefully whipped around so that your back was to the table and you practically sat upon it.

Voldemort's voice broke the silence with a raspy breath, "Your mother had a history of defiance, I pray we do not encounter the same problem with you my dear. It is such a shame for such potential to be ... wasted." He threatened not so subtly.

You felt nausea bubble in your stomach. Your fingers began to shake as he beckoned his snake back to him.

For the first time since the gathering had begun you summoned the strength to look the beast of a man in the eye. They were an indistinguishable colour and they were as cold as they were lifeless.

"What do you want from me?" You stated plainly. It wasn't an unreasonable question. But the dark lord was not a reasonable man. He circled the table like a predator, gliding silently, threateningly.

"Your unyielding loyalty of course. You know the history of the Gaunt family name and I expect you to carry it on. Dignified and respectfully. You will restore honour to our family and restore our pure blood values."

You shivered, and knew you'd regret the question you were about to ask. You couldn't help yourself before it slipped out.

"But ... my great grandfather... Tom Riddle, wasn't he-" you hadn't finished your sentence with Voldemort was flung forward from his chair and hovered over the table, grasping you by your throat and pinning your entire body so firmly onto the surface it hurt. He hovered parallel above you, yet again face to face with the scent of decay and evil.

"You will learn to never speak that name child. I don't even want to hear it cross those pathetic thoughts of yours. Understood?"

You nodded, gasping and sputtering for breath, desperately trying to pry his hands away. As you reached for your wand he dropped you and your head smacked back hard on the hard wooden table.

When you sat back up the dark lord was seated at the head of the table again as if nothing had happened.

"Now darling, we are going to call the rest of our faithful followers back in. You are going to observe, quietly and obediently." He wasn't asking.

He motioned to Severus' place at the table, you were to sit at his right hand from this day forth.