18. Letter Exchange

At night time, you could hear, in the distance, the soldiers making love to some of the women.
It was clear to you, at that moment, that there was more to this act than just pleasure.
The women knew that they were less likely to be killed if they were pregnant; and so, they took this as an opportunity.
Giving away their bodies and vulnerability to unknown men for the sake of living.

This thought alone disgusted you in such a way that you vomited.
Some acidic liquid was the only thing that came out of your body, for your stomach was empty and craving for food.
A patrolling soldier comes and checks on you. He was a bit worried since you were their secret weapon; Napoleon Bonaparte's lover.
After taking a quick look at you he starts talking in a quiet tone.

???: "Are you sick?"

Y/N: "I'm not sure... I think I just might be hungry."

???: "Eat this." The man hands you over an apple, you thank him.

???: "Tell me..."

???: "Are you carrying Napoleon's child?"

This question shocked you.
Perhaps the disgusting thought that you had earlier wasn't the only thing causing your vomiting after all.
Only a small bite was seen on the apple you were eating, this question made you forget about being hungry altogether.

Y/N: "I-...No, I am not."

???: "Well, if you are so sure then I won't bother you."

???: "But please..." The soldier gives you a small piece of paper.

???: "Don't treat me like one of these men you see around here."

While you were looking down, to read what was written on the paper, the man vanishes without leaving a trace.
What a weird encounter, you thought to yourself.
The strange note explained:

"
The Emperor is coming,
I'll bring you a letter from him tomorrow.
I'll bring you some paper if you want to write him tomorrow.
I'll bring you food to eat tomorrow.
Soon this will be over.
Marshal Oudinot is watching the place.
Rest, eat and wait.
From the Emperor's own words: No one shall harm the light of my life.

- M.A.H Pierre
"

This man, Pierre, was no longer a weird encounter but a pleasant one.
This text written on a very small piece of paper was the reason to stop all your worries and anxieties.
With this information, you could finally close your eyes and rest. Tomorrow will be a good day, one that you cannot wait to come.

Napoleon, on the other hand, was very stressed that night.
He went back to his Palace to plan how he could get you out without you getting caught between gunshots and dead men.
He intended to go rescue you tomorrow but all people advised him to not do it.
It was wiser to wait, make the enemy feel safe, and only then strike.
Josephine was the only one who objected to you being rescued. Saying that you were not worth the time, energy, or trouble.

Even Lucien saw his brother's broken heart when you were taken away and did agree on fighting for you if necessary.
The Emperor was often blaming himself for not being with you at the time the enemy came and knock on the room you were staying at the hotel.
Your man cried the whole night, he could not hide the distress your absence was causing him. Leaving him in a very vulnerable place.
As the night came to an end, people surrounding him told him to get some rest and be patient.

Bonaparte, alone in the living room, decided to write you the letter that same night.
After some time, it was ready to be given to Pierre, the man in charge of taking care of you while you waited.
He read the letter numerous times; He thought about you the whole night and still could not contain his tears.
Pierre arrived at Bonaparte's Palace; he entered the living room and he saw the Emperor sitting down, with the letter whose destination is your fragile hands on top of a small table, and crying.
He took some time to comfort Napoleon himself; Holding Napoleon's hand while fully listening to what the Emperor was saying.