Summer before Fifth-Year II

The shrill voice of an old woman made everyone in the dark corridor jump in fright. She was awoken because Regulus still wasn't feeling well, and he kept quietly sobbing. Draco and Remus tried to keep him silent, but they failed.

The woman was screaming all types of insults known to wizardkind. They weren't directed to anyone in particular, she was just screaming at everyone in the house.

Draco wanted to say a bad, really bad joke. He wanted to laugh at the woman and say she had to come up with something new. Even if nobody said things like those, Draco knew everyone thought them. The people who lived at the manor weren't talkative enough to say them.
Plus, it would just make Remus worry, and he didn't have time for that.

Quick footsteps came from inside the house and Draco took his eyes away from the screaming woman in time to see Molly and Arthur Weasley running towards the painting. They grabbed the curtains and tried to close them, without success. Remus, who still had Regulus in his arms, passed the baby to Draco and went to help. After a while, too long for Draco's poor ears, they finally managed. They all sighed in relief.

Mr and Mrs Weasley turned to the group and Draco could see the clear sparkle in the woman's eyes when she saw his baby brother.

«Who is this cute baby?» she squealed, taking a step forward to have a better look. Draco instinctively took a step back, unknowingly going behind Remus.

«The baby is Regulus, and the boy is Draco» explained Remus.

The couple's faces were shocked.
«Draco? Draco Malfoy?» started Mr Weasley.
«You look so different from the last time we saw you» added Mrs Weasley with a worried tone.

It was true. Draco didn't have the perfect hair, the perfect face, the perfect smile for every occasion, the perfect muscular body of a quidditch player. He had messy blond locks, eyebags and he was skinnier than he should be. His soul was now scarred by the life of a werewolf, and he couldn't turn back. He didn't even know if he wanted that back.

Why should he want the fake life he had before? Where he always had to be perfect or he'd be a disgrace. If he hadn't been turned, he wouldn't have known Remus as he did. He would still be the arsehole everyone hated.

Not that he wasn't acting like that.

The pain he had to go through made him forget all the good things.

«I know» was Draco's simple reply.

Another person was walking towards them and Draco smelled the strong scent of a wet dog.

«So this is my new cousin,» said the voice of Sirius Black. He had longer hair than the last time Draco saw him, and it looked like he just had a shower. He was smirking at them.

«What's the little one's name?» he said, as said baby reached his arms out as if wanting to touch Sirius' face.

«He's Regulus» replied Draco. Everyone could see Sirius visibly froze, even if he tried to hide it.

«It's a beautiful name» he whispered. Remus put a hand on his shoulder and rubbed it comfortingly.

«Come on, move. I don't want to stay here all day» muttered harshly Mad-Eye, limping towards the end of the corridor. The others followed, and they ended up in what looked like a living room. Inside were Ron and Ginny Weasley playing magic chess in a corner, Hermione Granger reading a book near the fireplace and the Weasley twins whispering to each other in the other corner. They all looked up at the sound of the door opening and Draco wouldn't be surprised if their eyes fell on the floor from how much they widened them.

«Malfoy?!» screamed Ron Weasley, standing up quickly. Draco grimaced. He didn't want to have to deal with them, he just wanted quiet.

«Weasley» he said calmly.