XIX

It was the last day of school for the kids and Nuna was terrified

It was the last day of school for the kids and Nuna was terrified. She hadn't seen her parents since the day they left her on a random street a few blocks away from the train station to fend for herself. She had refused to send letters to them and in return, they refused to bring her back home during the holidays.

Everyone was running around with glee and excitement, hugging their friends goodbye while the seventh years held back tears as they talked to friends and professors for the last time. Nuna held back tears knowing she'd never see anyone ever again.

Her suitcase and extra bags were up in Abril's dorm waiting to go back home. She originally wanted to put them in Delilah's but someone was being a brat. Now, all her focus was on trying to figure out how to get a genuine goodbye from her roommates without them wondering why her eyes would sting red.

Fuck not being able to tell anyone. It was a very tempting offer for her to take some random brunette chick and make her go in exchange for Nuna. She looked like every other basic white chick at this school anyway. She highly doubts her parents would ever find out.

Her scheming was disrupted by a pair of arms taking her into their hold. The few locks of black curls falling in front of her face were the only piece of evidence for her to relax in this man's hug.

"Why were you standing on the stairs zoning out?" Sirius asked, squeezing her tight as he motioned them down the stairs. "I took a polaroid of you since it was a majestic sight." He showed her the photo before quickly pocketing it as she laughed.

She hadn't even noticed. "Oh, I was just thinking."

"About?"

"The year's ending," she sighed. "First year at Hogwarts."

The stairs moved with the both of them still on it. Nuna had already gotten used to it but that didn't stop her eyes from shooting wide open making Sirius chuckle.

"Holy shit I forgot it was your first year here. This year felt so long it feels like I've known you for longer." He moved to her side and took hold of her hand. Surprisingly, he felt a slight hesitation in her but she instantly relaxed. It made him remember who she was and where she came from.

"So," he hesitated, "what does the year ending actually mean for you?" He tried to keep his voice as low as possible and rasped the words near her ear. It was a silly attempt at making sure no one heard him while trying to be seductive. Weirdly, a small blush crept on Nuna's face.

"I forgot you knew about me," she sighed with slight defeat. That wasn't the answer Sirius wanted to hear. "I'm not coming back."

Nuna knew she wasn't imagining the falter in his step and the tighter hold on her hand. He refused to meet her glance and she wondered if that was out of anger or anxiousness.

"So... this last day... is really the last day for us?" he slowly asked. There were a million things he wanted to say but didn't have the heart or balls to do so.