chapter 52.

"it wasn't meant to be
and see i wasn't made for you
and you weren't made for me,
though it seemed so easy"

I took a deep breath of the late morning air, the light spring breeze ruffling my dark hair as I closed my eyes. It was the second Saturday of april and the weather was getting warmer.

I held a warm cup of coffee in my hands as I rested my arms on the windowsill in my bedroom.

Surprisingly I didn't have any homework this weekend and I wasn't scheduled to work at the cafe, so I wasn't sure what to do with my free time.

I was reaching for my phone to text sadie and ask her what she was doing when I realized someone was calling me. My phone had been on silent so I hadn't realized it was ringing but when I saw who the caller ID was, I paused for a second.

Before I could answer it the call had finished and I realized that I had a couple missed calls and quite a few texts from the same person.

Jack.

I quickly called him back and sat down on my bed, slightly confused.

"Hey Ty" Jack said the second the call connected, his voice slightly raspy.

"Hey Jack. What's up?" I asked slowly.

"Um. I know I haven't really been the best friend recently but can you please come over?" Jack asked.

"Is everything okay?" I said starting to worry slightly.

"Yeah. Yeah everything's fine but can you  come over for a bit? I'll explain when you're here. Please?"
He sounded as if he was about to cry, it worried me since Jack really didn't cry often, he was always the happy one. Though, I knew that sometimes that wasn't the case, and he would fake it ever so often, but usually he was genuinely a happy guy.

"Yeah of course, i'll be over in 10" I replied, getting up from my bed and walking over to my closet to pull one of Jaeden's big hoodies on.

"Thank you Ty" Jack mumbled.

"Don't worry about it" I replied, grabbing a dark green beanie from a pile of clothes on the floor.

"Okay, bye" Jack said quietly.

"See you soon" I replied before hanging up and dropping my phone into the pocket of my sweatpants. I grabbed my cup of coffee and finished the last couple sips as I walked down the stairs and into my kitchen.

"Hey Ty where are you off to?" My mom asked, lifting her head from where she sat at the kitchen table.

"Hey" I replied, putting my mug into the dishwasher. "I'm going over to Jack's for a bit, can I use the car?"

"Yeah for sure, have fun!" she replied.

I turned around and tried my best to smile back, "Thanks, see you later" I replied before grabbing the car keys and waving a goodbye.

I didn't really relax until I pulled out onto the road and my music started playing softly. NFWMB by hozier drifted through the speakers and I let out a sigh of relief.

She is trying, at least she's trying, I thought to myself. Even though I knew she was trying to repair things between us, I couldn't control the overwhelming suffocating feeling I had every time she tried to be nice.

She basically ignored me for a while after our big fight and then one day I had come downstairs to make my breakfast and she had been sitting there with 2 plates of scrambled eggs and toast. She had asked if I wanted to sit with her and I had, though reluctantly. She had told me how what I had said during our argument a couple months ago had really hurt her, but the more she thought about it, the more she realized what I had said was true. She had felt so horrible about what she had put me through and she wanted to make it up to me, but she wasn't sure how.