~1~

May 25, 2010

~Niall Horan~

   "You think I do nothing for the family, Kellen Lee Horan?!" I hear my mother scream from the kitchen. I place my pencil onto the table, backing away from my notebook.

   "I never said that!" My father replies, his voice booming with anger, "You just can't do anything right for us!" I hear my mother struggle to put together a sentence.

   After a long moment of silence, she replies, "Like that's much different. I'd like to see you help keep Niall's grades up. I'd like to see you cook and clean. Goodbye Kellen." By now, her words are separated by sobs. I want to get up and stand up for her, but I keep my eyes on the slope intercept form. I repeat it in my mind to block out the shouts in the neighboring room, "'Y' equals 'M' times 'X' plus 'B.'"

   "You can't leave us," I hear my dad state, "Niall needs you. He needs his mother." It's true. I couldn't live without my mother. I would have already dropped out of high school if she wasn't here for me. My dad wouldn't care. He'd be happy to have help in the fields and with the cattle. I'm glad I didn't drop out. My teachers have told me that I am in line for a scholarship if I keep my mind to my future and stay serious about my grades. I want to go to college. I one day want to be a doctor. I want to help people heal.

   "Oh, so now I can do something?" Mom comments. Her voice is still sided with sobs.

   "Shut up! Just shut up!" I hear a loud crash before the sound of clattering glass. I stand quickly, jogging into the kitchen. My father is gripping my mother's shoulders tightly. Glass from the vase I made in kindergarten is scattered along the floor, the smiley faces broken apart. My mother's eyes for a split second are filled with fear, but the moment she sees me, her expression changes. Tears sting at my eyes as my mom yanks herself from my father's grip and walks out the back door into the night.

   "Dad?" I question, wishing I could read his mind. He doesn't answer. He is frozen, staring at the last place he saw my mom. For a second, I think I see a tear linger in his eye. "Dad," I state trying to hold back sobs.

   "Niall, go to your room," he orders. His voice is strained. My eyes never leave his. My dad clears his throat before adding, "Now!" I snap my gaze away and quickly retreat down the hall. I stand before my door, just looking at the peeling white paint. After placing my hand on the handle, I turn it. The door opens with a click revealing my neat room. Everything has always had it's place.

   I enter, closing the door behind me, and slowly sink to my bed. It slowly falls from my weight. I lay my back to the sheets and close my eyes.

~

   "Uno!" I scream, raising the single card into the air. My mom chuckles, looking at her cards. From the corner of my eye, I catch my dad glancing at us from above his reading glasses.

   "Red," my mom states, placing a wild card onto the pile. I glare at her, for she changed it from blue, the color of the card in my hand. "Sorry, Niall." I smile, drawing a card from the deck. I smile at my luck, laying the card on the wild card.

   "Blue," I change the color. My mother mocks my glare before placing down a blue 6.

   "Uno!" She calls, holding her remaining card face down to her leg. Too bad that won't mean anything. I place down my card, throwing my hands into the air.

   "Victory!" I shout. My five year old body gets picked up off of the ground from behind. "Daddy," I say, erupting into giggles, "Put me down." My dad lifts me onto his shoulders and begins to run around the room, making sound effects. I spread my arms straight out like the wings of an airplane. "Momma, be a plane with me!" My voice is high pitched and childish.

   "Alright," she agrees, standing. She spreads her arms and begins running around the room in circles.

   I tell my dad to stop, crossing my arms, "You don't sound like an airplane." My mom apologizes and starts again, this time making noises.

~
   I come to, tears welled up in my eyes. That was before my parents fought. It was when I thought my life would be perfect. I didn't believe that any wrong could happen. It's when I thought fun was everything. Boy was I wrong.
----------------------------------------------

Alright guys, I know I've been on and off with new books, but I'm trying to experiment with different plot lines. I've come back to this one just recently. I really do hope I can finish this one! I have some great ideas!

I hope you enjoyed this!

Please comment! My next update will be Sunday IF I have time to write this week. I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Thanks for reading!

Maddy