The End of a Chapter

My brain blanked a bit on this one, so yeah, it was a little late and ehh 
Hope you enjoy!!

Day 3 prompt: "I can't"

Rex's eyes flashed open as he heard rustling from somewhere in the room, his surroundings not quite processed in his mind. The Kaminoans had made sure the clones were as alert as possible, and the slightest movement had jolted him awake, but for what he didn't know. 

He spotted a dark figure moving around, and as he turned his head, he could see the faint outline of montrals and hear some cursing.

He didn't speak, but as he moved to get a better view, the bed creaked, causing the figure to immediately freeze in their spot, their head snapped towards him. He could now see the telltale shimmer of blue against the dark, glowing orbs in a sea of darkness.

Rex had seen those eyes so many times he didn't even need to think as he called out to them.

"Commander."

The togruta stayed frozen but after a few seconds, she sighed, sensing that Rex was fully awake and curious to know what was going on.

It was a few weeks after everything went downhill, where they had left the crashed Venator, and now they were on the run, hopping from planet to planet. He wasn't sure what she was doing, but a sense of dread pooled in his stomach as she pulled away to reveal a bag.

"Commander?"

The moonlight shone through the window as he opened the curtains of the run-down hotel, but he could clearly see now, and he didn't like it one bit.

She was standing by the cracked table, a bag packed with a comlink around her wrist. Her eyes were widened in surprise as if she didn't expect him to wake up. Her cloak wrapped around her, the grey cloth dirty from not being cleaned, but that wasn't their main focus. He was still wearing his armor, and his cloak was folded neatly beside the scattered items.

"Go back to sleep, Rex."

Her soft whisper echoed around the room, and his brows furrowed as he pulled himself up, going against her request. 

"What are you doing?"

He walked towards her, examining the items on the desk. There were various metal scraps, a large bag of credits handed on the side, and several pieces of technology. His blasters were still there, and a key card along with it.

As he looked back up at her, he finally realized what she was doing, disbelief and horror waved onto his face as he stumbled back.

"Are you leaving?"

He thought they would stay together, that he would always watch her six with her protecting his back in return, but now...he wasn't so sure. 

Her lips pursed into a frown, closing her eyes before she looked at him again. That was his only answer, and he stepped forward towards her, still speechless.

She took off her bag, placing it on the work surface, and gestured for him to lean beside her. It was quiet as they rested there before Ahsoka spoke.

"I have to go, Rex."

His answer was immediate, packed with confusion. "Why?" 

"You know why."

She had released Maul, who demolished the clones, their brothers. Rex had vowed to stay with her, no matter how much she didn't want him to promise that, and he did, even when her appearance on a planet caused stormtroopers to chase after them.

They had ran through a forest, never leaving each other, but it was a close call as bolts flew past them, some of them hitting Rex as he stayed behind Ahsoka. She had force healed him in a cave no matter how much he protested, but in the end, he was alright.