𝐟 𝐨 𝐮 𝐫

"Let's do this"

Using his free arm, Chris pushes the double doors open as I take another deep breath trying to keep my anxiety at bay, which didn't work.

As soon as the doors opened all of us were literally on us. I know that sounds cliche but in all honestly wouldn't you stare when the two most important people of the party come in late. I wasn't a fan of all the attention. I start to feel self-conscious and awkward.

We made our way down the stairs, greeting people on the way.

"I feel like we have been walking for ages, and the podium is still far as fuck." Chris whisper whined in my ears.

"Shut up. Let's not forget your lazy ass picked this venue." I giggled.

Everything looked gorgeous. The decor was perfect and screamed just the right amount of elegance.

"You all did a good job though" 

"Thanks, I'm glad it's to your liking princess," he says smiling down at me.

It takes a minute for me to realize the room is completely quiet as I step up the podium.

I clear my throat before I begin, looking out into the crowd only to be met with the same loving smile that has gotten me to this very moment. Lily blows a couple of kisses my way, urging me to start.

"Good Evening ladies and gentlemen," I say smiling " I would like to take a minute to thank you all for coming. As most of you know this gala is extremely important to me...Children without families are the most vulnerable people in this world. Waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares, and having no one to comfort you.  Having no one to protect you from the monsters under your bed. No one to see you walk across that stage and no one to see the empire you have built." I take a minute, looking down, wiping the tears that have now fallen.

Gathering all the strength I have, I continue. " No child is ready to be an orphan. So I ask you all to please consider donating to the foundation. You can also sign up to volunteer and connect with some of the kids at the orphanage. Thank you, dinner will be served soon. Enjoy your evening." I finish smiling.

I'm not a fan of talking about my past. The nightmares and the memories are traumatizing enough.

I shove all the emotions back down and out my game face back on. All my employees, associates, partners, and even some competition are here tonight, and I cannot afford to be an emotional wreck. For the sake of my business, myself, and most importantly my baby.

I walked around the room trying to make small talk with everyone. I even managed to make a new deal with Crockett Industries. I couldn't tell what Mr.Crockett was more interested in, my proposal or my tits.

At this point I didn't even care, the poor old man was a centimeter away from death.

It hasn't even been two hours and my feet are killing me.

Heels are the definition of pretty but deadly if anything. But like someone once said, beauty is pain.

Although at this moment, I would give anything to be ugly.

I make towards the back of the ballroom, hoping to get away for a few minutes. Luckily for me, there is an empty chair in the corner that is calling my name.

I sat down taking the opportunity to slip my heels off. I curl and stretch my toes hearing them crack as I bring them up to my lap and rub them.

Closing my eyes for a few seconds and just enjoying the classical music and the quiet voices in the distance.