The stork in the storm pt. 2

Here's the second part! Fyi, this part is a little more graphic, so be warned! Hope you guys enjoy!

Ship: Nellis (Nick x Ellis)

Warnings: birth (mildly explicit), major character death (believed but not true),

Though it isn't explicit, I will mark the birthing parts with (~*) so those who want to read can avoid if they so choose.

~~~

Nick knew something was up even before they left the saferoom. The night before, he'd found pink discharge in his pants but believed it was nothing when he found no blood. When he woke up, he felt Braxton-Hicks. Worry urged in his chest, but he ignored it, continuing his morning routine when the contractions seemed to fade.

An hour into their journey, the contractions came back, worsening ever so slightly with each step Nick took. His lower back had begun to ache like hell, even after he dumped a majority of the ammo from his jackets and bag. The contractions began at every hour and a half. They then came every hour, the storm growing stronger. When they came every thirty minutes, Nick all but ran up to Ellis, wiping away the heavy falling snowflakes from his eyes.

"Overalls," he half whispered, taking Ellis' shoulder.

Ellis touched his hand, "Yeah, Nick? What's wrong?"

"I think-" he paused as he felt another contraction, "I'm going into labor."

Ellis stopped, turning to him wide-eyed, "What!?"

"Keep your voice down!" Nick hushed, "I'm going into labor!"

"Shit! How far apart?"

"Thirty minutes."

Ellis looked around, "Alright, alright, we'll find another saferoom and get ourselves set up to-"

"Y'all! I see a fence! The lodge is just up ahead!" Coach hollered with glee.

Nick and Ellis looked at each other, both wondering if they should risk it. Ro and Coach's voices were growing distant as they pondered. Finally, Nick cleared the air.

He took Ellis' shoulders, "We have some time. If we hurry, we can get somewhere clean."

"Nick, we don't know how far it still is! We should-!"

"Ellis? Nick? Where are you two?" Rochelle called as the wind picked up.

Nick released Ellis, heading toward Ro's voice, "Ellis, we need to go. We have time."

Ellis bit his lip, hesitating for a moment before rushing after him.

The wire fence surrounding the lodge had a chipped padlock on it, keeping any would-be intruders out. Coach huffed, shaking his head at the other men as he turned back to the lock. Raising his arms high, axe in hand, Coach shattered the frozen metal in one swing. Nick whistled in admiration. Coach, with the help of Ellis, pried the gate open. The four slipped in, Nick feeling relief wash over him as buildings became apparent past the increasing snowfall.

Coach walked ahead of the others, scanning the area, "I reckon that-"

A resounding thud came over the wind, a spotlight blasting onto Coach. More thuds followed as towering floodlights flipped on at the edges of the lodge's property. Coach tripped the security system. The four calmed when, for a second, nothing else followed. After a beat, a loud crackle came over the speaker followed by a dying air raid siren.

Coach turned back to the team, an apology on his face, "Let's go people!"

The four ran forward, Coach heading toward the vague buildings ahead as the others trained on his bright green parka. None heard the tell-tale howl of the horde, but the calls of specials rang in their ears. The buildings grew closer and clearer as they ran, as did the outline of a tank. Everyone pulled out their guns, firing into the meat wall. The earth rumbled, making them jump. The fence flew, hitting the first tank as another came barreling towards them from the other way.