Episode 7 - End of an Era

Start from the beginning

Emma gently shook her head and said, 'James-'

'Who knows what could happen tomorrow?' said James, 'Who knows what could happen in a month? A Year? I want to be with you, Emma.'

Emma smiled adoringly and said, 'You are with me, and I am with you.'

'I mean...as a legal couple.'

Emma sat up straight, her eyes widened and her mouth fell.

'Is this a proposal?'

James smiled nervously, 'Uh, yes. Yes, I want to marry you, Emma. I don't know what would happen in the future, but I know I want to spend as much time with you as my wife.'

Emma swallowed; her heart was thumping against her ribcage.

'Well...what do you say? Would you like to be Mrs. Montgomery?'

Emma blinked a few times and her mind was trying to wrap the information that he had proposed to her and she couldn't grasp it.

'I-I need a little time to think, James,' she said wisely, 'With everything that is going on, and my family doesn't even know that we're a couple. Maybe they suspect something is going on and we haven't been discreet as I thought...But I promise to give you my answer soon.'

James nodded and said, 'Well, that's all I could've asked for.'

He looked over the horizon and said, 'Golly, we should head back. Your aunt Rosamund would be wondering where we are.'

'One thing about Aunt Rosamund to know is that she is sharper than a knife,' Emma said, raising her eyebrows.

'That I know,' he smiled.

They headed back to Aunt Rosamund's place and James bid Emma a good day and left. Emma smiled as she watched him walk down the path to his hotel. She bit her lip and walked up to the door and went inside.

After dinner, Emma was dressed in her evening night gown and she couldn't concentrate all night about the talk of going back home. Emma felt like she was going to burst and she went over to her parents' bedroom where she saw her father was absent, he was at the White Chocolate's House, and he would be back soon and her mother was applying moisturising cream all over her hands at the makeup table.

'Emma, shouldn't you be in bed,' Cora said, looking through at her mirror, 'we have to leave early tomorrow.'

Emma smiled worriedly and she sat down at the edge of the bed.

'Mama, there is something I need to tell you,' she said nervously.

'Oh? What could this be, dear?'

'It's rather something to confess,' Emma said worriedly, 'It's about James and I.'

'Oh? Is it about the two of you courting?'

Emma's face burned and she nervously smiled, 'How did you know?'

'Oh, Emma,' said Cora endearingly, 'I knew the pair of you had eyes for each other for years. The two of you were attached at the hip since the get go.'

'Mama! That's sounds rather American...'

Cora chuckled, 'I think everyone knows about you and James.'

Emma's face turned surprised, 'I-I thought we were discreet?'

'Not as much as you thought,' said Cora tenderly, 'you're my daughter; I know you well enough because you take after me.'