-Chase: Chapter Thirty-Four-

After that night behind the dumpster, I’m scared out of my mind to sleep on the street. The day after I witnessed the stabbing in the alley, I went back to Nick and washing dishes.

At least I know I can get food from there and have money for drugs. The drugs I get around here aren’t high quality. The high wears off much faster than I’m used to, which I hate, because then that leaves too much time for thinking.

It’s the middle of June now, which means Audrey graduated high school. I wonder what college she’ll be going to. I’m sure it’s a great one, she has a hell of a talent.

I wonder if her and Brie are still not talking, or if maybe now that I’m gone, they made up?

I wonder a bunch of things, like what Brody is up to, what his senior year will be like. It’s crazy, I know, but I miss school. I’m going to miss senior year. I miss Milton, his junkyard. I wonder what will happen to it now. Brody and I had big dreams once.

Now, I’m a drug addict, a meth head. I think these things as I pull out my straw, make a line of meth on the restaurant's stainless-steel counter. I found a small window in the basement the other day while hauling up supplies for Nick.

I decided to unlock it, so I can sneak back in after Nick locks up at night.

Now, I have my sleeping bag spread out on the kitchen floor, my belly's full of French fries and a milkshake, my line of meth is ready to go. I lean over, snort the silky white powder.

My head falls back of its own accord, I close my eyes waiting for the best feeling in the world to come over me.

Ahh, I can get through anything now.