Chapter 17 ~ Tired and Traumatized

Start from the beginning

"I," he started, pausing for a second, really considering his next words. "I... think I should go through with it."

"Huh?"

"M-Maybe things really would be better if I didn't r-remember. And if we put my memories back to how they were when we were first in the k-killing game, personality and all, I could defend myself. I'd probably try knocking some sense into S-Shuichi. Might even succeed."

"Didn't past you have a crush on Shuichi?"

"Even you noticed? Man, I s-sucked at hiding it. But what of it?"

"Well, I think that's what he wants. But also, what if he succeeds in romancing you? Even if you wouldn't remember the past, doesn't that still sound messed up?"

He sighed. "Of course. But... he also w-wants you there. You could make sure he doesn't do anything b-bad."

She scoffed. "No. I don't like him like this. And you shouldn't put yourself in that type of situation."

He smirked. "You d-don't like him like this? Ooh did you perhaps have feelings before things got this bad? I wouldn't have e-expected a detective and assassin to form such a bond."

She impulsively glared at him before softening into a smile. "It appears there is still some of the fake you in there."

His face went blank as he processed that before forming a smile as well. "Y-Yeah... I guess I do... Honestly, I prefer myself that w-way. It's what I wanted to be. In control. A leader. D-Dangerous if needed. There were plans Tsumugi and I made. Shit was going to get wild."

"Well, I'm glad we never got to that point. I like you better when you aren't lying and trying to turn us against each other. Heh. Fake me really wanted to kill you. If execution hadn't been involved, I probably would have. But I'm glad I didn't. Part of me is glad we could actually get to know each other. Even if it is half and half with our fake and real memories colliding."

"Hmm... Speaking of, I-I'm curious. What are your real memories?"

Maki sighed, sitting up and hugging her knees. "Surprisingly, not too different from the fake. Though none of you knew my actual past, anyways. Basically, I was put in foster care. Being the oldest, the younger kids gravitated towards me. Funnily enough, Tsumugi was there. Though, she eventually got adopted. Me, on the other hand, never did. And I was reaching a deadline. Once I was an adult, I'd be on the streets to fend for myself. I was becoming desperate. So when I heard Danganronpa was taking auditions, I caved. Tsumugi and I had never been close, but she did recognize my name and came to talk to me about it. And that's how I ended up there."

"Huh..." Kokichi stretched out before sitting up. "Weird she kept it mostly the s-same. But wait, you said you h-had parents?"

"Yeah, my birth ones. After they found out I was 'famous', they found me and wanted to leech off of me. Pathetic."

"Let's k-kill them." Kokichi giggled at the joke, Maki letting out a forced laugh a few seconds after that.

The two went back to their silence, unsure where to go from here. Maki eventually stood up and walked out of the room without saying anything. Kokichi followed behind, worried he upset her. Following to the living room, he watched her finish packing the bag she had been holding earlier in the day. 

"Well, I guess we better start moving," she mumbled.

"Moving?"

"Yeah. I'm surprised no one has came for us yet. Shuichi may even be planning to return. I still don't know where we are going but it's better than sitting here waiting for someone to break in."

Kokichi nodded, following her as they rushed out of the house and into the car. Suddenly, he gasped, an idea strucking him. "I have an idea of where to go."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yep. Team D-Danganronpa's headquarters."

She turned her head to look at him from the front seat, giving an annoyed look, assuming he was joking.

"No, listen. S-Shuichi was partly onto something. Let's... Let's..."

When he didn't finish the sentence, she sighed in annoyance. "Let's what?"

He took a deep breath. "Let's erase everyone's memories. Including Team Danganronpa's. And then destroy the flashback lights."

She stared, emotion unreadable on her face. "Excuse me?"

"I know it s-sounds crazy. But if everyone, and I mean e-everyone on the team and our friends, forgets about all of this, we could l-live peacefully. We just need to sneak in a-and make some flashback l-lights."

She blinked, contemplating the idea. "It... Isn't a completely bad idea. But very risky. And probably impossible for just two people to pull off. Are you sure you are up for trying that?"

He shrugged. "What other c-choice do we have? If I get kidnapped one more time, I-I might murder someone." His voice became shaky, in no way meaning that as an exaggeration or a joke. He was on the last strand of his sanity.

She shook her head in disapproval, starting the car. "Alright. Let's give it a shot."