Chapter 16 ~ An Offer

Start from the beginning

"If you scream, I will cut your tongue out before Maki gets here."

Shuichi pulled a pocketknife out of his pocket. It was a knife Kokichi remembered, the memories not being fond ones. It was enough to keep him quiet.

"Good. I hope it doesn't come to that. Now, as I was saying. I wish I could make you forget what happened in the past."

A few seconds went by before Kokichi realized Shuichi was waiting for an answer. "W-Why?"

"Why? Come on Kokichi, you're smarter than that. I don't like how you look at me like this. Like a monster. I mean, you are right to do so. Or, were. Because I'm not like that anymore. I think..." He mumbled that last part, his grip loosening a bit. "But I want us to start over. I've got self-control now." Once again, his body was trembling. "She's right that you need to stay away from Kaito. You could live with us. Just you, Maki, and me. I can show you how much better I am than Kaito."

Kokichi shook his head. "W-What are you talking a-about? Self c-control?"

Shuichi took a deep breath. "I remember. I remember losing my mind every time I saw you. I don't know why. I- I'm sorry for what I did. I just wanted you! But with my fake memories, I can control myself. Things can be healthy this time! And- AND you won't just be alone with me. I have to admit I've grown a liking to Maki as well. The three of us can go off together and-"

"No." It was firm. For once, there was no hesitation. No shakiness to his words. His eyes weren't even consumed with fear, starting to show anger.

"N... No? But- But I'm better now."

"Y-You are currently holding me down..."

"That's because you always run and scream every time I try talking to you!" Shuichi had to stop himself from yelling, taking a deep breath. The raise in voice took some of the anger out of Kokichi, fear taking over again. "I'm just trying to have a normal conversation with you. I'm willing to get off if you promise not to run..."

Kokichi thought on it for a second. Obviously, he was going to agree, hating this feeling of being trapped. The question he asked himself was more so about meaning it. If he'd actually sit and listen to Shuichi or take the opportunity to run for Maki. Everything in him told him to run but he didn't want to trigger Shuichi into doing anything rash. No, he needed to hope he could appeal to Shuichi's ingame personality.

"O-Okay," Kokichi said. "I won't run..."

Shuichi stared at him for a moment before finally moving, sitting next to him on the bed. Kokichi quickly sat up, backing away a bit.

"See," Shuichi said. "I'm normal now."

Kokichi shook his head. "T-That doesn't mean I like you like t-that..."

"Which you?"

"Huh?"

"You can't tell me you weren't dropping hints back in the killing game." Shuichi leaned a bit closer, trying to be flirty. "I think if I had been normal when we first met back in high school, you would've actually like me. You liked when I was normal. You liked when I was this quiet, socially awkward detective. I can still be that."

"C-Correction, fake me liked that. Tsumugi still gave me fake memories and preferences."

"But that's still in you, is it not?"

Kokichi thought back to his time with Shuichi back in the killing game. It's true part of him liked the detective back then. They were total opposites, and he was infatuated with messing with Shuichi. Seeing how far he could push. In a way, it was almost like the roles had been reversed. Though, in a less violent and traumatizing way. Fake Kokichi wouldn't have done more than half the stuff past Shuichi did. But thinking back to now, those feelings weren't there. He knew that isn't what Shuichi was actually like. Even if they got a flashback light and got rid of Shuichi's old self again, it still wouldn't be real. The damage had been done with the Shuichi he originally knew.

"I bet I know what you're thinking. You are thinking of everything I did to you back then, aren't you?"

"Uh... kind of..."

"Well, I have a solution for that. Let's make you forget any of that ever happened." He gently grabbed Kokichi's face, excitement in his own eyes being seen through Kokichi's fearful ones. It was taking everything in Kokichi to not scream right now. "If you forget I ever did any of those awful things to you, maybe you'll give this another chance."

Kokichi tried shaking his head, but Shuichi's grip got tighter. "W-Wait a second. Did you even l-like me back in the killing game? I think this is just y-your old self t-talking."

"I'd be lying if I said you didn't interest me. Sure, we were never close enough for me to develop those feelings. But you still had my attention. And now that I remember our past, I know we could be something. But this time normally! And with Maki."

"I'm getting the f-feeling you like Maki, too... Why not just settle for h-her?" At this point, Kokichi was struggling to hold everything in. He so badly wanted Shuichi to just leave him alone. If Shuichi was being true to his word on self-control, he should accept the no. And he knew Maki would knock some sense into him if he dared tried any of that past stuff on her.

"Because-" His voice got dark, him needing to stop a second for a deep breath. "I have been wanting you for so long. I had you. Kaito took you away. You are running away. But now that I am normal, I should be able to have you again. You shouldn't want to run away."

"That's not how that works!" Something switched in Kokichi, making him smack Shuichi's hand away and raise his voice. "I don't like you, Shuichi. A-And I never will. Please, leave!"

Shuichi stared in shock for a second, his body slowly trembling as he began hugging himself. "I... I don't understand... I am trying... so... hard... to do this right. There is no reason for you to reject me. Please. PLEASE. I need a second chance!"

Shuichi got on top of Kokichi again, activating Kokichi's fight or flight.

"I said no," Kokichi yelled, somehow managing to push Shuichi off the bed. He sucked in a breath, realizing things would only escalate from here.

He began screaming for Maki and attempting to jump over Shuichi, scrambling for the door. Shuichi was quicker, grabbing the male's ankle and dragging him onto the ground with a loud thud. Kokichi proceeded to scream and kick, tears forming in his eyes.

"Listen to me," Shuichi yelled. "All we need to do is get rid of your old memories again. Don't you want that? To not live in fear anymore? Fuck, we could remove all your memories right now and start from scratch. Reput those fake memories into you and start from there. You won't have to live in fear anymore! You could be the supreme leader from your fantasies. Let's even pretend I was one of DICE's members so you'll automatically favor me!"

"Let go!"

"No! You know you want these memories gone. You know you want to go back to what you were in the killing game. We can make that happen if you just-"

The door slammed open as Maki rushed in. Even through her tired eyes the two could tell she was close to murdering someone. Shuichi immediately backed off, trying to explain it isn't what she thinks. She wasn't listening to any of it, demanding he get out of her house. He didn't move at first, determined to convince her. When it was obvious she wasn't budging, he finally got up and ran out.