Chapter 12 ~ A Safe Place

Start from the beginning

Kokichi nodded, rushing to get into the car and buckling himself in. As Kiibo began to turn around and drive away from Maki's house, he couldn't help but begin to feel safe. He started to calm down, settling into the seat. The two made some talk, Kokichi explaining what had happened after Maki left. After that, they turned on the radio and drove the rest of the way in silence.

It took a couple hours to get to Kiibo's house, Kokichi dozing off pretty early on. All he knew was when he opened his eyes, he was no longer in the car but on a couch. The change startled him, standing up and already running to the door. Though, he stopped as he remembered who he was with last. He sighed in relief, going to find Kiibo. He went from room to room, confused that he wasn't anywhere in sight. Going back to the front door, he opened it and saw the car was out front. Closing the door, he went back to searching the rooms, realizing there was a door not too far from the front door. He opened it, surprised to find stairs. Taking a couple steps down, Kiibo suddenly rushed up, blocking Kokichi's path.

"You're awake," Kiibo said.

Kokichi nodded, replying, "W-What were you doing down there?"

"Nothing. Going through trash. Let's go back up."

The two walked back upstairs, Kokichi looking around nervously. He had never actually been to Kiibo's house before and it was finally setting it. Right now, he might be stuck here. He wasn't sure if that was calming or scary. Kiibo did save him from Shuichi, so this should be a good thing. Though, he wondered what Maki would do when she found him missing.

"Are you okay?"

"Oh, y-yeah. Um... How long have I been asleep? M-Maki might have gone back by now."

Kiibo gave a confused look. "Would she be worried about you? I thought you two weren't close. I heard Kaito just dropped you there."

Kokichi shrugged. "S-She was trying to help me. But she had to leave s-suddenly. She is probably back by now..."

Kiibo stared at Kokichi for a moment. "Do you... wanna go back to her?"

Kokichi thought about it for a second, unsure. Going back to Maki meant going back to Shuichi. But he had grown to trust Maki and didn't want her worrying about him. Though, Kiibo's house could be much safer.

"M-Maybe," Kokichi said. "Let's try calling her..."

Kiibo didn't move or offer his phone. Instead, his eyes traveled to the floor, looking distant. Kokichi wasn't sure how to interpret this. It would seem weird for Kiibo to deny a simple thing. Finally, Kiibo nodded.

"Alright," he said. "But first, let's get you something to eat. You seemed to be getting lighter and I worry about you."

Kokichi found this to be a weird request but nodded anyways. He decided to wait on the couch while Kiibo cooked.

In front of the couch was a little table with a remote on it. Figuring it was the TV remote, he grabbed in and turned on the TV, switching between the channels. Not too long later, Kiibo came back out with a bowl of spaghetti. Kokichi smiled at him, taking the bowl and immediately eating. Kiibo sat down next to him on the couch.

"You can c-cook," Kokichi asked lowly.

Kiibo smiled at Kokichi, replying, "Yeah, I've taken up a few hobbies since the killing game."

Kokichi flinched at "killing game", frowning. "But you don't eat."

"No, but you do."

Kokichi titled his head slightly, about to ask another question before Kiibo interrupted him.

"Since I'm new at this, tell me how it taste. I want to make sure I get this cooking thing down."

Kokichi nodded, going back to the food and watching TV. At first, they were both watching TV. However, out of the corner of his eye, he could see Kiibo now staring at him. He didn't say anything, expecting him to look away soon. When Kiibo didn't, Kokichi looked back at him, noticing a blank expression on his face.

"Is everything o-okay," Kokichi asked, feeling a bit nervous.

"Yeah," Kiibo said, looking away. "Sorry. It's just... Nevermind. I'll explain later."

"No, tell me n-now. I'm listening."

"Oh, that's not the problem. I just don't think you'll understand right now."

"Understand w-what?"

As Kokichi finished that question, he started to feel a bit dizzy. He attempted to set the bowl down on the table but missed, spilling the remaining spaghetti on the floor. Bending over to try cleaning it up, he almost fell forward, Kiibo quickly catching him and pulling him back on the couch.

"Whoa," he said. "Just sleep."

Kokichi didn't get a chance to question him, everything going dark.