PROLOGUE

ADDIE's hands trembled and her body stood still, unable to move even the tip of her finger. She can't even hear clearly and all she could do was close her eyes and waited for death to come. She has always been a practical thinker, and Addie knew at that moment that no matter how fast she runs or how much strength she has to fight back, there's no stopping the bloodthirsty monsters attacking every human being it sees. 

She just closed her eyes and waited for her turn. As of that moment, Addie begged for her upcoming death to be quick.

"Addie, would you really leave us?"

"I don't want you to enter the army. Rumor has it that every women who enters the army gets harassed or violated."

Just about when she's ready to face death, whispers of her mother filled her ear. Completely erasing the loud, painful noises she kept on hearing around her.

How about her family? Her siblings? Who would be their breadwinner without her? Are they even safe right now?

She opened her eyes but it was too late. A netheran penetrated her neck with its sharp teeth. Addie struggled to scream for help, or even breathe. Pain coated her being until she felt cold all over. She saw a man in front of her getting attacked by a netheran. A tear glided on her cheek when the netheran sucked the life of the man, leaving the man's body with only bones on the ground. 

"Mom... everyone... r-run," she whispered in her mind before she closed her eyes, completely surrendering to the cold.

"Adriana! Help! Adriana!"

She opened her eyes as fast as the ray of light. Fire broke everywhere and burned the town. The netheran that attacked her is gone. The warmth of her body is now back. She immediately touched her neck and she's not bleeding. No wounds and everything. But her clothes are covered with her blood.

The screaming stopped and every survivor looked at her with fear and disgust. No, they're not looking at her. They're looking over her shoulder. She gulped and looked behind her. The netherans were all squeezed to a pulp by a red string and they're all floating on the air. And the red strings... sprouted from her back. Like thin siphons sucking blood out of the netherans. She could feel the blood flowing inside of her giving her warmth, slowly lulling her to sleep.