1

Hi, I am Monique Hastings Yang. I am half American and half Korean. My mom is from the US, in Boston specifically, and my dad is from Korea. I have two brothers named Mark and Joseph. My eldest brother, Mark, graduated law at Harvard Law School. He is happily married and has three children (Zoe - 10, Emma - 8, and Lucas - 6). The youngest, Joseph, graduated business at London Business School and he is doing a part-time job as a photographer in some famous fashion magazines. And me, I am the second eldest in the family, I am 28 years old and single. I graduated from Julliard with a degree in dance and music. Currently, I am now in my 4th year in business at Columbia University. From arts to business, genius right? Well, my parents wanted me to do business because according to them I am the heir, which is too much for me. I just wanted to dance and be a choreographer like what I am doing right now.

My mom and dad, are rich. Like, extremely rich people. They owned Yang Corporation based in Korea, and have different branches around the globe.  Under the Yang Corp., there is a law firm in Boston, the biggest law firm in the US, which is managed by my brother Mark and his wife. Several hotel chains in US and Asia, managed by my younger brother Joseph. The last one is Yang Entertainment (which includes producing Kpops, actors, actresses, and models..all Koreans). I forgot about the rest, forgive me.

My parents wanted to retire early and enjoy their life traveling with their grandchildren, which is understandable. We value family, close family ties. We are really close. Mark doesn't want to manage the Yang Ent., and don't want to be the CEO of Yang Corp., same goes for my other brother. My parents decided that it should be me since I have a degree in dance and music which is somewhat related to "entertainment" as my parents used to say, and I am almost finished with my business school. In a few months, they will announce their retirement and at the same time I will be crowned as the new CEO of Yang Corp., and I am going to manage the Yang Ent.

The thing is, I don't speak and understand Korean. I am not that genius, I am sorry. Yes, I know what you're thinking. My dad is Korean, they live in Korea, etc., But it is really hard for me to speak Korean, I tried though, but I am hopeless in Korean. However, I speak Italian, German, Japanese, and some French. I am awesome, right?

Of course, I agreed with my parents with their decisions, yes, you can tell that I am a good daughter which I am. But then again, I told them that I have one condition before they announce my crowning. My condition is simple, months before the announcement I will go back to Korea. I will work in Yang Ent., as a choreographer. No one will know that I am the future CEO and boss of the people around me. I don't want bodyguards, no one knows me so I don't need those. I just want to familiarize myself with those Korean Celebrities and other staff working in Yang Ent. Simple right? My parents agreed and in one condition too. I need to enroll in a Korean school or hire a tutor for me to learn the Korean language. And I said deal!

*KOREA*

Home at last. I was sitting on the couch reading about Yang Ent., I need this, I need to know everything about the company, the artist that is under Yang Ent., etc.! Of course, I followed them on Instagram since they started using social media, and I know them too based on the news and articles that I saw. They are everywhere. But I need to know more, I need to learn more.

Yang Entertainment is a South Korean entertainment agency established by Yang Kim Jae and Margarette Hastings. The company operates as a record label, talent agency, music production company, event management and concert production company, and music publishing house. In addition, the company operates several subsidiary ventures under a separate publicly traded company, Yang & Hastings, which includes a clothing line, a golf management agency, and a cosmetics brand. Current artists include Sechs Kies, Big Bang, Dara, Akdong Musician, Winner, iKon, Blackpink, and Treasure as well as actors and actresses including Kang Dong-won, Choi Ji-woo, Cha Seung-won, Lee Sung-kyung, Jin Kyung, and Yoo In-na. Other notable artists include Somi and Anda who are under Yang & Hastings.

Yang Entertainment's records are distributed by the following:

Yang & Hastings (Overall since 2019), Kakao M (Specific releases only) – South Korea
Yang Ent – Japan
BEC-TERO Music – Thailand
Trinity Optima Production – Indonesia
Tencent - China (online only)
WMG – rest of Asia (Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.)
Interscope/UMG - Europe, North America, and Japan (for Blackpink & Jeon So-mi)
Universal Records, Warner Music Philippines, and MCA Music Philippines - Philippines

I sighed. Mom, this is giving me a headache. I cannot do this. Can I just go back to the US right now?

My mom laughed at my reaction, oh poor Monique she said then kissed my forehead.

Unnie, that is Blackpink. I heard my niece Zoe pointing at the pictures. I love them, she continued.

Yes, baby. I know you love them. I smiled at her.

Mom, is Dad in the office? It is my first day of work and I am already late.

It is fine honey, we owned the company it is ok to get late, sometimes. Come on now, we go together. I will ask the driver to prepare the car.

But Mom, remember our deal? If they see us together going to work, people will get suspicious. I will drive myself there and will see each other later here at home. Don't worry, I'll be careful. Bye, Mom. I said as I pack the things that I am reading in my bag.