Arranged Surprises

"Well? What are you just standing there for?" He sighed, still focused on his papers. This is the part I wasn't exactly exited for; seeing my Uncle again.

     I sat in the chair opposite him, observing his blank expression. He finally looked up at me, squinting through his square spectacles. 

     "I suppose you know what is going to happen to you for these next couple weeks." He says, folding his hands on his desk.

     "Yes, sir." I answered shortly. It was mostly going to be signing papers, attending social events and building my father's business as my own. 

     "And Helen already told you about her arrangements?" He asked me. I think back to my and my Aunt's conversation, only remembering having a scone shoved into my hand. 

     "No, sir." I reply. He sighs, rubbing in-between his eyebrows. 

     "I wouldn't be surprised if she forgot entirely. Your family's closest alliance is with the Lundborg family business located near Paris, correct?" He says. A faint memory from my childhood suddenly came to mind; I was sure I had heard that name before. 

     "The Lundborg family, sir?" I ask, trying for more information on them. 

     "They will be joining us for dinner tonight," He says, ignoring my curiosity. It was sudden, but that was my Uncle for you. He was a very sudden man. I assumed they had sons of their own that I would rely on in the future.

     "And you will have the chance to once again see their daughter." He says, eyeing my reaction. So, they had a woman inheriting their business? That would be interesting to work with. 

     "Now, just because you haven't seen any women for months does not give you the excuse to mess around. I expect you to treat your fiancée with the utmost respect." He added. 

     I froze, stuck on the words he had told me. My fiancée? I had never heard anything about this. 

     "My what? You can't be serious, I've never even met her before." 

     "I am serious. You're meeting her tonight, so I've provided a hand tailored suit that just came in today. You should be grateful, it took quite a bit of convincing to have their daughter meet you when you haven't yet inherited the your fathers company." He points out. 

     I couldn't believe my ears, there was no way he could really mean that. Is this something he had just planned, or did my parents know about this when they were alive? If so, why didn't they say anything?

     "Go to your room, you can try on your suit. They'll be here around seven." He says, going back to his papers.

     I quickly left his office, sprinting down the hall. I needed to leave, now. I couldn't stay here, now that I knew their plans for me. This wasn't just practice; my Uncle will definitely sign off the company to me this week. Were they planning on taking me out of school? Were they that desperate to get my father's business off their hands? 

     And marriage? Regardless of my social standing, I was seventeen! I had accepted giving away my life for the sake of the family business, but I didn't want to marry someone I didn't know. 

     Grief came over me as Axel's face showed in my mind. What would he say? What would I do? I was pretty sure I didn't qualify for the marriage they had in mind.

     Seven was around the time Axel would be landing, and I hadn't talked to him since this morning. I felt a sudden urge to see him, just to reach out and touch his body. I knew that no matter how hard I tried, no one else could make me feel how I felt when I was with him.

     When I had made it to the room with my first name on the door, I quickly entered to get my things. I looked around the massive room for my bag, but realized they had already been put away. All I really needed was my phone, so I didn't bother putting my stuff back in my bags. 

     I grabbed my phone from the bed stand, ignoring the tailored black suit that laid on my bed. When I went over to the door to open it, I had trouble with the handle. Was it stuck? I turned the nob even harder, pushing against the door. 

     Shock spread throughout me as I realized what was happening. It was locked. From the outside. Had my Uncle anticipated this? How could he be so immature? I checked my phone, staring at the no reception notification at the top. No way

     It was already six-fifty, which meant the Lundborg's would be here any minute. He had done this on purpose, he had timed it and everything. I didn't want to jeopardize our alliance with the Lundborg's, especially since they had apparently been part of our company since before I was born.

     My Uncle new the stress he was putting on me; it was as if he was saying that if I didn't go through with this, the Company would fail and it would be my fault. He was taking advantage of my respect for my parents hard work to keep the business running. This is why I wasn't excited to see him again.

     My thoughts were interrupted when I heard car wheels rolling up outside my window. I threw open the curtains, staring at four black cars the pulled up to the front of the mansion. I knew in that moment that I didn't have a choice; I was meeting the female Lundborg who I had been assigned to marry.