C3- "Court"

beep.. beep... beep..

I cracked my eyes open, practically blinded by lights. I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to remember how got here. Voices... sirens... oh! That was an ambulance huh. I wonder who called the poli-

A person creaked open the door to the room.

"Oh! What a nice surprise! How are you feeling, Benjamin?" The doctor asked. I just shrugged, wincing at the stinging on my back.

"I get it. You're confused. Also probably a little frightened, but it's okay, your parents will be put in jail for what they've done. You're safe now." He said carrying to comfort me. What? He's trying to take me away from my parents! This isn't right!

"What do you mean?" I speak up timidly.

"So he does talk! Basically your neighbors heard commotion so they called the cops and saw that scene. Your parents will be taken to court and put in jail. Also there is a police officer who wants to talk to you. Are you feeling up to it?" He asked. No. I nodded and he walked out the door for a second.

A short, stocky woman entered instead of the doctor. She reached out her hand.

"Officer Julie McBryer, it's a pleasure." I reached out shakily to shake her hand, only then noticing the mass of bandages wrapped around it.

"Okay so I'm only here to ask a few questions is that alright?" No. I nodded.

"Okay so, have your parents ever physically harmed you before?" She asked. I hesitantly nodded. She wrote stuff down.

"When did it start?"

"Uh, I w-was nine, I think."

"Did anything happen, do you think, that could've triggered them to start wanting to hurt you?" I nodded.

"My sister died." I whispered, not wanting to talk anymore. It was true.

I was on my way home from school, walking excitedly, because we'd just gotten a new puppy for Andra, my sister's, 16th birthday. It was a black Labrador, bursting with energy. I ran up the porch and flung the door open.

I took a step in and immediately recognized that something felt wrong. The air was heavy.

"Mommy? Why do you look sad? Did you have a bad day?" Younger me asked. I got no response from her. "Mommy? Tell me what's wron-," she slapped me.

"Shut up! Not everything's about you, you fuck!" She yelled. I stood in shock, tears welling in my eyes. I ran to my room and sobbed into my pillow until I fell asleep.

"Okay, I'm sorry to hear that, sweetie. I'll be back later for more questions but that all for now. See ya!" She left. I exhaled. Way too much has happened in the last 24 hours.

...

It was a long day, filled with questions and questions and more questions. Apparently I have to testify against my parents sometime in court in the next few days. Is this what I want? It's not like I can argue though.

The next day passed the same; meeting with old people and answering questions. I was currently sitting in an office with a short, dark-skinned woman. I think she was a lawyer. I had to go to court the next day, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I mean I didn't feel like my parents needed to go to jail.

"They were only doing it in order to help me, ma'm." I spoke up. She looked me in the eye fiercely and I pulled back a little.

"I do not want to hear you defending them on this. It only seems like that to you because it's what they've feed to you as an excuse for hitting you." She said. An excuse? While I wasn't sure I believed her, I did not argue. I was certain that many other parents did this so I didn't know why mine were in trouble.

"You seem confused." The lady pulled me out of my thoughts. "It's okay to ask questions in here. This is a safe place." She smiled, her eyes creasing. I shook my head, dismissing her. There's no way in hell I'm asking questions.

"Do you think you're ready for tomorrow?" She asked.

"Yeah, I know what to say, don't worry." That was the most I've spoken in a while.

"That's not what I meant, Benjamin. I meant mentally. Do you think you can face your parents?"

"Not sure." I was feeling anxious about talking so much; I just wanted to leave. I got up and waved goodbye.

"Good luck! I'll see you tomorrow, alright?" She asked. I nodded.

...

I was still staying at the hospital, so I was led back to my room by some man who worked with the lawyer. I saw my reflection in a window as we walked by. I mentally cringed. I had a huge bruise on my cheek, along with smaller ones littering my arms and legs, and fainter ones from earlier that week. My wrist was encased in a white cast and I couldn't even see how bad my back was.

This is normal. Right?