Chapter 20: Battle City Begins!

The next day found Mai and Ryoko in the Town Square waiting for the tournament to officially begin

The next day found Mai and Ryoko in the Town Square waiting for the tournament to officially begin. The two were discussing the clear cards that each held a piece of the map. A new twist, they supposed. "Hey, Ryoko! Mai!" They heard someone call, they both turned and saw Yugi running up to them.

"Hey, Yug," Ryoko greeted pleasantly.

"Pretty big turnout for this thing. All losers," Mai said while looking around, her expression screaming 'unimpressed'.

"Well, there are many duelist who I've never seen before," Yugi told the girls. Ryoko nodded, agreeing with him. Mai then squealed,"Oh! This is so exciting! I wonder whose butt I should kick first in this tournament," Mai sounded excited in the same way a child whose been given free reign in a candy store would.

"Yugi, I thought I'd see you buzzing around," the trio heard an annoying voice say smugly. They turned again to see Weevil and Rex walking up to them.

"Well, if it isn't Rex Raptor and Weevil Underwood. I thought I smelled something awful," Ryoko said as she crossed her arms. Mai chuckled at her friend's comment.

"I'll never forget how you played me for a chumpasaurus, Mai. Now, it's payback time," Rex told her angrily.

"And Yugi, next time we duel, you won't be so lucky. My deck invested with swarms of rare and powerful insects," Weevil laughed evily. Ryoko rolled her eyes at the runt's overconfidence.

"Whatever, bug boy," she sighed. It was then Meko walked up and grabbed Weevil in a head lock.

"Those are large words coming from a small guppy. If anyone should be making waves, it'll be me," Meko told him. Ryoko smiled at the sight of a good familiar face, "Hi, Meko, it's been awhile," she greeted. He smiled back at his old surfing buddy. "Hello, Ryoko, it has been awhile." He greeted back.

"You think you'll win this tournament?!" Weevil screeched indignantly from Meko's headlock, his glasses now askew and his overly pale face flushed an ugly fusha color.

"Of course, there's nothing that can withstand my mighty Dodecanese of the Deep," Meko said confidently.

"Your sardines will be crushed by my Dino Horde," Rex told him.

"Don't be so sure, my brand new Fortress Whale card is much mightier than your Twin Headed King Rex," Meko retorted.

"Well, I have a monster far superior to my Great Moth, but don't think I'll tell you what it is," Weevil spoke up from Meko's headlock. Meko then grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and shook him as he said, "Well, maybe I can just shake it out of you, Weevil!" Mai sighed at the boy's antics.