Chapter twenty-nine

Start from the beginning

Fear of what Nick had up his sleeve. He was very unpredictable from what I had heard. And if he had left something in her room, he was more of a threat than any of us had hoped for. 

What scares me most is that Nick doesn't seem like a person who does not keep his promise. His promise to get his claws back on Luna no matter what. 

"He what?" Kayden hissed. 

He balled his fingers to a fist, hopelessly trying to stop his trembling. His need to destroy something was clearly visible.

Isaac stood up and harshly grabbed his phone. Without another word he left the room. 

I almost felt sorry for the guards responsible for protecting the estate, emphasizing almost. They had done their job poorly and would pay the price. 

"Let me read the card," Cole said in a monotone voice.

Like always he had the most control over himself. Someone in this family had to keep his shit together. 

I handed them the folded card. Cole eagerly took it and read the words written on the paper. Kayden was reading along with a pained expression. 

"Cazzo!" Kayden yelled and started pacing around in the room. 

I looked at Cole, who gave me a silent warning to not disturb Kayden when he is like this. 

"Why can't he leave her alone? He has tormented her for seven fucking years, yet he still feels the need to destroy her happiness," he angrily muttered to himself. 

We stayed silent for more than five minutes until Cole decided to speak. 

"I know for sure Isaac is trying to figure out how this could happen. Our priority right now is Luna. I know she's scared to death, so it's our job to be there for her," Cole calmly said. 

Kayden sighed in defeat. He knew Cole was right, and that he had to control his anger in her presence. 

"I will notify my father and let our best men look for him. If Nick was here, he couldn't be far," I told them. 

They both gave me a grateful nod. 

Before I go, I have to say goodbye to Luna and see if she's going to be alright. 

I went upstairs without Kayden and Cole, they were going to inform the twins about the situation and would come upstairs in a few minutes. The door of her room was wide open. 

Luna was sitting on a couch facing her glass wall. Cora was sitting next to her and was quietly talking to her about a movie she saw. Cora's head turned around when she heard me enter the room and gave me a sad smile. 

I headed toward the couch and sat down on the arm of the seat next to Luna. 

"I will wait for you in the stairwell," Cora mumbled and left the room. 

Luna slowly turned her head toward me, her eyes looked swollen and red from all the crying. Her hands were still trembling, but not from anger like her brothers, but from agony in its purest form. 

It felt like an ice-cold hand wrapped around my heart, and squeezed it again and again. 

She seemed so exhausted, the kind of tiredness that doesn't go away with sleep.

I crouched in front of her and laid my hands on top of her trembling ones. 

I expected Luna pull away from my touch, like she had done in her panicked state. Instead she suddenly wrapped her arms around my neck and slayed her head in the crook of my neck. 

Immediately, I wrapped my arms around her torso even if I was taken aback by her unexpected action. Not a word was said, not that it was necessary. 

I enjoyed her embrace and felt like I could stay like this forever. The scent of lavender crept into my nose, probably from her shampoo or conditioner. 

"I'm scared," she said with a cracked voice. 

I slowly pulled away from her embrace and was already regretting it. My body was craving to hold her again and protect her from the lurking evil. 

"I know," I sighed. "I will do anything to keep you safe. He will regret everything he did to you when we get our hands on him."

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. 

"Cora and I have to go home because it's getting late. I'll pay you a visit tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, good?" I asked her. 

The last thing I wanted was to leave her, if I could, I would stay by her side for the rest of the night, but she needs space to process this. 

She hesitantly nodded and gave me a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. I heard heavy footsteps on the stairs, which meant it was time to go home. 

I placed a kiss on her temple and stood up. 

Kayden and Cole entered the room and immediately went over to Luna. Kayden pulled Luna in a hug and laid his chin on top of her head.

That was my cue to leave.

Cora was leaning against a wall in the stairwell. 

"Ready to go?" she asked. 

"Yeah," I muttered. 

When we were walking toward our car, I realized Jay and Jasmine had disappeared. I kinda felt bad because I only noticed it now, but I was too caught up in the situation to care about anyone other than Luna.

"Where are Jay and Jasmine?" I wondered.

"Jasmine received a call from her mother saying her grandma fell down the stairs and is laying in the hospital. They immediately left," she explained. 

"What a bad way to end such a beautiful day," I sighed.

°°°°°°°°°°