[5] Storm Brewing

Start from the beginning

"So what are you trying to say? That we're not good enough?" Paimon retorts - you place a hand on her small shoulder.

"No, that's not it. More of a commentary regarding Mondstadt's inability to see the warrior standing right in front of its very eyes."

"I like how you indirectly roast your own nation." you half-heartedly joke, placing your hand back on your chest. "Though, I do appreciate the comment, Barbs."

"Eh? 'Barbs'? What kind of nickname is that?" Paimon tilts her head.

You turn to her, "Well, you heard the boy earlier. He introduced himself as Lord Barbatos itself. Doesn't it make a fitting nickname for him?"

"you believe him!?"

"Yeah, I kind of do. Even if he's not a god, I'll help him nonetheless. I don't want to see another separation."

"That's understandable considering your mission is about..." Paimon pauses.

Looking back at a shocked Venti, you smile. "Don't worry, my decision doesn't hinge whether you're a God or not."

"Are you sure? I thought you joined my dramatic introduction earlier to save face." Venti says skeptically.

You shake your head. "I did that earlier knowing full-well what I was getting into. It's nothing, really."

A smile appears on the bard's face. "Well, that is certainly surprising! You have a hidden heart of gold. Never have I ever heard someone say 'Rex Lapis quivers before him' when talking about Barbatos."

"Yah, I just thought of it in the spot." you humbly reply, "Now then, what's our next course of action?"

Glancing at the now revealed Anemo Archon, you and Paimon stood patiently next to Venti as he thought of a plan.

"Well, looks like borrowing it is not going to be possible. We're simply going to have to steal it!"

--Night time, Mondstadt Cathedral--

You huff as you stood at the dimly-lit entrance of the Cathedral. Paimon floats beside you as you mentally prepare for the next course of action. The moon's light casts down as Venti sits on the railings in front of the building.

"Why are we doing this again?" you mutter as you look around the dark place.

"Because you're more suitable for the job than I." Venti replies. "Aside from singing, I don't really have any other talents."

"But why can't you join me sneaking into the Cathedral to get the Holy Lyre?"

The cold wind of the night breezes past you as your bard friend grins.

"If I was caught, I'd have no-one to right the grave injustice of my arrest."

"How can it be a 'grave injustice' if you got caught stealing red-handed?" Paimon retorts.

"But things are different for (Y/n). You are the superstar of the Knights of Favonius. You have made contributions to Mondstadt!" Venti praises. "Should you get caught, you would be easily be able to talk your way out of it."

"I really doubt that, Venti." you mumble.

"Aw c'mon, have faith in yourself." He smiles and pats you on the back.

"Alright then. But if this plan backfires, then I blame you." You joke.

Then he points towards the entrance.

The two of you shift your attention to the faint light inside the Cathedral, only filled with the candles lit up for the night.

"The guards here, they seem they're off-duty throughout the night. If we manage to seize this opportunity, it should be smooth sailing from here. Make sure you don't get caught."