Chapter Ten - Grey Mist

Amelie came down for breakfast at ten the next morning. She headed into to the kitchen with a yawn and straight to the tea cupboard. She felt his presence as she rummaged around the cupboard.

"Good morning, Ami."

She ignored him, frowning as her hand still searched. Finally, she spun around. "Where's the coffee?"

"Oh I beg your pardon. Did you want a morning drink?"

"Yes. I want my coffee. Where is it?"

"I've thrown it away."

She blinked, unable to comprehend his words. "What do you mean?"

He slunk in, taking a seat. "Well caffeine is bad for you as I'm sure you're already aware of. So I've decided that you are to have no more hot drinks. No tea, no coffee."

"You've got to be kidding me."

He shook his head. "No, I'm afraid not."

She was still finding it hard to understand. As she stood there, clenching and unclenching her fists, anger rose up inside her, exploding into rage. "Bad for me...bad for me?" her voice suddenly rose in fury, "I'll tell you what's bad for me! Attacking and imprisoning me inside my own home! Sexually assaulting and then raping me! Torturing me physically and mentally. Tormenting me in many ways beyond anyone's belief...that's bad for me. That's bad for me! Not some mere cup of coffee that I drink in the morning, you demented moron!"

His voice was quieter than hers but his words were laced with ice, "Ami, kindly calm down, or I'll be inclined to calm you down myself."

And that made her shut up and cool down- slightly. "I want my cup of coffee!" She almost wailed.

And he shook his head again. "I'm afraid you can't."

She still stood there, feeling absurdly hurt by the fact he was denying her her morning drink. Finally she turned away and made herself a toast. Amelie opened the fridge and pulled out a juice carton, plunking it down loudly as hard as she could on the table and slammed the cupboard door shut hard as she retrieved a glass.

Suddenly a plate smashed on the floor, making her heart leap and her body jump. Her eyes met his furious ones though his face was steeled. "Do that again, and I'll have to smash something else."

She gulped and nodded her understanding and he ordered her to clean up before leaving.

*****

Amelie was going over a lot of things in her mind. The video she'd seen, those images of mutilated corpses and then the slideshow of photos of her family and friends...it all circled in her head. The intent was clear, but would he really try to hurt everyone she knew to get at her? Either way, she could feel the worry eat away at her, gnawing at her insides.

Her door flung open half-an-hour later and he came in, dropping some bags onto her bed.

"What's all this?" she asked.

"The stuff we bought yesterday. Or you bought. That's insignificant. But I think it's time to try some on." He gestured at the red bag and she cautiously opened it before glancing back at him in disgust.

"Get lost."

"You've got ten minutes to sort yourself out. Look presentable this time. There's only so much you can do to yourself."

Amelie refused to let his words hit her and instead threw the bag on the floor. "You want some- try getting some from a welcoming prostitute."

"Is there a difference?"