Chapter 5

After a short trek of 15 minutes, we reached the house on the mountain. It was clearly an old mansion. Tendrils that slipped through the cracks seemed to be expanding readily every second.

The walls were cracked, but there was still a tint of peach. The plaster peeled off when I felt the walls. Massive. It was massive. "Sir, since we are here and you have seen it, can we go now?" Enwati whimpered.

I stepped into the deserted house, pushing the door open.  I predicted that the door had not been oiled in

a century, and my judgement was confirmed when the whole door fell out after I forced it back even more.

The walls looked amazing. The wallpaper may have been peeling with bits of fuchsia, but some colour was still there. There was a painting on the wall. It was like old wood, rotten, but like the wallpaper, it was surprisingly preserved.

I walked up to the painting. The floorboards squealed. Engraved on a wooden plaque, were the words "Woodville Guest House - 1980s".

"Enwati, what is this place?" I remarked. He said it was a guest house when Woodville was first established. There was a stand with a big heavy book. He opened it. Although the pages were withered, the pictures illustrating Woodville's history were still clear with colour.

Woodville was established in the 1970s. It was founded by Sir Thompson Wale, who was a member of the 3rd Regiment in the Army. After he opened it, many elderly British and villagers settled in the island.

Enwati sighed. "In the 1980s, a family stayed in the guest house. All of the members in the family died mysteriously in gruesome ways. When people first realised, they suddenly could not be in contact with the outside world. To keep this secret, Chief had to pretend nothing was happening."

I gasped. Could this have been caused by the crazy beast? Before I could ask Enwati that question, a wooden beam fell. CREAAAAAAAKKKK! I would have been hit, but Enwati pushed me out of the way!

"Enwati!" I gazed upon his limp body. He was out cold.

"SCREEEEEECCCHHH!" The piercing sound came back. I looked above, and there was this hunched up, slender creature. It looked down on me. It had blond hair for some reason. I screamed. Then came loud footsteps and shouting.

I sat on the floor crying. I was too paralysed with fear to move. Two men carried me by the arms and feet. When I looked up again, the beast was gone.