Chp 13

"Bye Hunt

"Bye Hunt."

A soft voice filled my ears and gained my attention. I slowly twisted my neck, allowing my eyes to land upon a girl who seemed to be a year or so younger than Aiden. The dark clothes she was wearing hung loosely over her body, and her brown hair was tied in a messy bun.

Her skin was evidently pale; prominent dark bags rested beneath her eyes, perhaps reflecting her tiredness. And her piercing green eyes were so void; so dull. Yet, it seemed as though they held a very heavy weight within their depths.

Her gaze cautiously scanned Lucas' figure — head to toe — before she scrunched her nose up. Her eyebrows furrowed at him, a faint frown tugging her lips, as she clearly glared at my brother.

I narrowed my eyes at Lucas, attempting to figure out what he had done to the poor girl, only to find him glaring back at her.

The girl slowly averted her cold gaze away from my brother and let it land on me. Green eyes widened, their voidness instantly getting replaced with recognition and panic. She took a few unsteady steps back, as though attempting to run away from what she had seen — me. Her lips parted open, her chest evidently heaving as she took sharp intakes of air.

Her peculiar behaviour fuelled my confusion. My thoughts turned into a chaos, my mind attempting to figure out what had gone wrong; what I had done to cause her panic.

Henry and the other girl with him stared at her in evident surprise while I craned my neck, my confused gaze meeting my brother's identical one.

I hesitantly looked back at the girl, my gaze not missing the unshed tears that had filled her eyes. It seemed as though she had seen something she had never expected to see again.

"Nathan?" Her low voice wavered, a crack evident within it, and confusion lacing it. She blinked a few times.

My eyes widened and my hands clenched into shaky, tight fists by my side. My jaw subconsciously clenched, my gaze not breaking away from the girl's teary one. My stomach twisted in knots, my heart hammering wildly against my ribcage.

I had only known one Nathan, and I had lost him sixteen years ago. Nathan was my twin brother, three minutes younger than me. He was the only person my mother had taken with her after her secret divorce with my father. And we had completely lost communication with him after that.

"What's going on?"

I tore my gaze away from the girl, allowing it to land upon the blond guy who had just entered. He sent the little girl a concerned look. She glanced at him before her eyes met mine once again. The man's gaze followed hers until it landed on me. His face paled, his eyes widening slightly.

"What the f- are you Adrian Romano?" He suddenly asked.

I kept my eyes fixed on the girl in front of me as I nodded slowly. "Yes."