5. Neue Befehl

Wagner and Baumann continued looking out at the taking in the view.
"Herr Kapitänleutnant, something you must see." A Matrose called pulling both men back into reality. Werner and Baumann stopped and made their way down the ladder. "Sir there are incoming wires." The Matrose said. Heinrich had been listening for incoming wires all night and into the morning, but now something was up.
Heinrich looked at Wagner. "Sir our recon planes has picked up a British convoy in the North Sea near the Norwegian coast," said Heinrich. "What about this convoy?" Asked Wagner. "Command says it appears to be a British Naval task force sent out possibly headed towards one of our ports," Heinrich stated. "The English think they're bold enough to make a raid." Stated Wagner. "Command wants us to abandon the move south to Gibraltar make our way up north toward Denmark and meet up with a Wolf pack and hunt them down." Wagner went over to his map table. "Chief we continue south then stave off our original course south, and make our way north at Cherbourg and turn up north," Wagner said to Baumann and the other officers. "Leutnant Werner, Asses the supply situation and give me a report."
Wagner ordered. "Jawohl Herr Kapitänleutnant," Werner replied.
Wagner turned to the Matrose.
"Make sure you tell the crew the change of plans." Wagner orders. "Jawohl Herr Kapitänleutnant." The Matrose Said.
Later that night, Heinrich and Wagner were up listening out on the wireless.
Wagner looked down at his charts. "Idiotic High command, they don't realize the English are getting bold, and soon maybe America will be in the fight," Wagner said in an angered voice. "High command, as always expects us to pull through." Wagner took a deep breath, letting out a long sigh. He turned to Heinrich. "this mission is big, we know the risks, even our U-boats are dangerous, do you know that Heinrich." He silently nodded. Wagner looked up at one photo of his wife which he kept with him through his years of service.
"Heinrich?" Wagner asked him. Heinrich turned to him. "Put the record on the ship's turntable, you know the one." Heinrich nodded and got hold of the record, and put it on the turntable, a slow violin, and clarinet harmony creeped out of the speakers. The clarinet took overplaying a sentimental melody, soon followed by a man's voice somberly singing. "come back
I'm waiting for you Because you are for me
All my happiness, come back My heart keeps calling Now you fulfill
My skill,"

"It's a long way too, Does he guide you and me too in bliss. I ask you this today
come back"