Chapter 41

Chapter 41

"So you're tying the knots now, huh." Connor mumbled after he took a scalding gulp from his black coffee. We were in the cafeteria and we sat in a circular coffee table near the glass wall. I was stirring my coffee with a spoon absentmindedly when he spoke and embarrassment crawled on my flesh with Goosebumps.

"I suppose, since he proposed and I said yes." I said and a bubbly feeling buzzed from inside me as I turned to look outside to the snow capped environment. It was snowing non-stop but I wonder why the world seemed brighter, maybe it was because of all the whites all around. The roofs from far across the building were covered with thick snow and few grumpy people, their faces contorted from freezing as they scooped, were brushing off the road with snow. Was it that tiring to sweep snow from the sidewalks, I guess not?

Connor chuckled and I squinted my eyes towards him suspiciously. "What? You're all gooey eyes that I felt disgusting shivers run down my spine!" He said smoldering a laugh.

"I'm not 'all gooey eyes'." I rolled my eyes and took a sip from my cup. The warm liquid made its way down my belly and spread through my body. It felt good.

He snorted and flicked a pinch of blueberry cupcake onto my face and I glared at him, "What's wrong with you?" I asked as annoyance erased the brightness of the world. This man could annoy the hell out of me from time to time.

"You're making this disgusting face, like an 'all-sexed-up after glow'. You're making me want to puke." He joked and I sighed.

"Whatever, Connor. I'm not making an 'all gooey eyes' and having 'all-sexed-up after glow' as you like to call it, but yes, I'm happy and the world seems brighter." I smiled and his face sobered as his gaze softened, the familiar dimple showed as he smiled warmly.

"What?" I asked growing amused as I watched his emotions flicker on his eyes. I was glad we were back to how we used to be before the engagement fiasco hit us, though I knew how much I crushed his heart and I was still hoping I could return the love and kindness he has given me all this time.

"You deserve that happiness, Jane. You do." He said his voice at its soothing timbre, I could listen to him talk all day. But this person was my best friend and would always be.

"You deserve happiness too... I hope you find love soon, Con. You just have to open your eyes and you'll see that the best girl for you is just around the corner, probably taking a sip of her bubble tea." I said with a soft chuckle. I knew I wasn't being bias but Amy indeed was the best girl for him. Their strengths and weaknesses complement each other that it seemed as if they were each other's missing halves.

"I already found that love Jane and you will always be the best girl for me..." My heart pinched for the man in front of me, I would give everything so as I could love him back the way he loves me. But it was Nate whom I wanted to be with for the rest of my life. He smiled, "...but I will try to look for my second best girl..." he added in a small voice that I was sure he just said that so I won't feel bad, typical of him.

"So, how did Nath take the truth about her father?" He asked and I remembered the moment when I told my daughter the truth. I was unsure how I would tell her the truth but then I remembered her longing for a father and I just thought no matter what happens I would risk everything for my daughter's happiness. I doubled when a huge smile broke from her face when I finally told her that Nate was her dad, then she sat and gave me a huge hug that told me all the unsaid words --- she was happy.