Chapter 15 - Coffee stop

Start from the beginning

William opened the glass door and kept it that way until everyone was inside. Surprisingly, the interior was more pleasing and clean than what they had expected from seeing the outside. It reminded them of the well-known American style: presence of red and white checked patterns everywhere, big couches at tables instead of chairs, and a long bar which a waitress was leaning on. She was talking with a guy until she caught eye contact with her new clients.

They all settled at the table that was the closest to the exit and also appeared to be the most hidden from the camera. William and Trevor took seats next to each other, leaving the second sofa for the remaining two. Even after Trevor changed, they still looked sort of suspicious. William could pass as some nerdy university student; Eleonora as his weirdly-dressed girlfriend; Austin as their teenage friend, to whom they offered company; and Trevor as their weird uncle who they took with them by grace.

Shortly after, the waitress came to collect their orders. Austin was the first to speak. He ordered pancakes with double chocolate syrup, then Eleonora fish and chips, which she explained was her favourite dish when she'd still lived in the city. Trevor went for fried eggs with bacon. And William decided to get a cup of coffee. It surely was the first time Trevor saw him get a drink.

'Since when do you drink anything?' Trevor asked, his brows raised. 'You haven't even drunk a glass of water in front of me yet.'

'Ugh, of course I'm not going to drink that coffee. It would probably taste bad,' the blond muttered in disgust. 'But we have to play it cool, act like we're normal.'

'Which we obviously aren't, William,' Eleonora cut in, her eyes piercing him from behind the menu, which she kept holding because she had nothing else to do. 'But yeah, we can always pretend.'

'How aren't we normal, though?' William frowned.

Eleonora put the menu down. 'Look at us.' She shot a confused look. 'I'm not even going to say how ridiculous we look. We don't really match that British-roadside-adventure legacy, don't you think?'

William glanced between them. 'All right then. You've got a point,' he conceded, then he leaned over the table and lowered his voice. 'We are weird. But that doesn't mean we need to be weirder.'

'Fine by me.' She shrugged.

Once their orders arrived, they immediately stopped arguing and enjoyed their food instead. At first, William watched them eat, but when he noticed that the waitress kept eyeing him, he started to sip at his coffee, too. It was strangely hot, though he couldn't feel the taste of it at all. Actually, he realized that he couldn't remember feeling the taste of anything at that moment.

He grimaced at his coffee as if there was something totally wrong with it. It almost made the waitress rush to assist him and ask him if everything was alright. However, he put the cup down just in time to make her give it up.

Sudden growling in the vampire's stomach made him frown a bit more. But once he started feeling nauseous, he sprinted to the nearest toilet. Fortunately, he had enough self-consciousness left that he ran at a normal human speed.

Trevor had cleared out of William's way. When he came back to his previous position, he exchanged a couple of confused glances with the other two. As no one seemed like they were going to take a look at William, he dragged his feet to join him.

In the men's restroom, there was only one cabin so William had to be in there. He knocked on the paper-thin door and leaned against the wall, tiles cooling his back.

'Are you okay?' Trevor asked, sounding extremely drained.

'Uh-huh,' the blond's muted voice came from behind the door.