CHAPTER ONE . エンゲージメントのルール

Start from the beginning

Standing at the gates of the palace, two masked Fatui agents stood guard with a critical eye, continuing to peruse you and Wenling. A sigh escaped your lips, rolling your eyes at the agents. The left agent is slender, donned short blonde hair with a crooked smile. The right agent possessed a medium build; his height being significantly taller than his partner.

"What? Do you not recognize me?" You sneered in disdain. The two of them looked at one another before turning back to you. Wenling stepped forth, gesturing towards you.

"My master, the heiress of the (l/n) Trading Company had been invited by the Sixth of the Fatui Harbingers to come to Snezhnaya." Wenling explained, introducing you to the two guards.

They looked hesitant, exchanging looks with one another before the blonde one spoke up. "Apologies but we cannot permit those without permission to—"

You fetched the letter from your coat pocket, waving it to his face. A frown stiffened your features as you dangled the parchment before him in annoyance. "Do you need more proof? Or will this letter suffice?"

He gulped nervously, stuttering an apology. "S-Still, we have need to cross examine with our official documentations—"

"That won't be necessary."

Amethyst eyes met yours, pools of abysmal heliotrope complimented with flashes of violet lightning. The subtext of acrimony and ire glazed over his sight as he told the agents off. His order was direct, his tone almost draconian in its nuance. Glossing over his features, he looked quite youthful— presumably your age or even younger. Dark red eyeliner contrasted his midnight hair and amethyst hues. His garb was ornament and of Inazuman design. Strings of crimson were tied to his tareginu, a hat of which silk were strung from it, hanging over his features.

"L-Lord Scaramouche...?! There is no need for you to bother with this. We can handle this." Your eyes widened, lips parting slightly upon hearing the name. Your chest tightened, feeling as though your lungs were giving into the frost in his presence.

"Handle this? You seem to be handling this rather poorly." Scaramouche spat at them venomously, glaring at the two soldiers whom had addressed you so crudely.

The tall soldier gulped, nervously breaking into a frenzy of apology in order to remedy the situation. "W-We're terribly sorry! We um—"

Scaramouche cut them off. "Be off. I shall tend to this myself."

hurried away without another word, too afraid of crossing Scaramouche which left you and Wenling in slight shock. He turned his attention to you, glancing at you from head to toe. Displeasure was glazed over his eyes as he examined you with a scowl apparent on his face.

"So, you've arrived—" You interrupted him, cutting his sentence off.

"Forgive me for this, but I didn't expect my future husband to be this short."

"Excuse me?" His eyebrows knitted together in ire, shock and disbelief colored his face. Wenling stifled a laugh at your crude words. You meant no intent of harm with your words, it was just your nature to be blunt and straightforward. This was a matter of your future after all, there was no need to draw this out.

"I'm your future spouse, yes? I prefer directness and candor in this relationship." You responded in a gesture. An innocent smile tugged at the corners of your lips. "I presume you don't need any proof of my identity?"

"No," Scaramouche grimaced. "I don't. I can recognize you with ease. The most sought after bachelorette there is in Teyvat."

"Delighted to know that my future husband recognizes me. Now, are we going to discuss this?" You held the letter to him, smiling triumphantly.