[41] Wakeful Nightmare

Start from the beginning

Night had faded into morning but the worry in her heart had only increased, a splitting headache breaking out as well due to the medicines she had been taking yet the fact that she was resisting sleep and rest at the same time.

The clock was ticking the hours by, her tired brown eyes focused on it aimlessly, hands clutching her temple to drive out the pain but to no avail. The hour needle crossed eight and the door to her bedroom opened, revealing Alex carrying a tray set with breakfast for her.

However seeing her like that, he got worried, placing the tray down at the table and approaching her, "Dora, you okay?"

"No..."

Tears threatened to roll down her cheeks and Alex's features paled from concern, not knowing what had happened to her but he could see that she was heavily disturbed.

He sat down on her bed across from her, gently taking her hands in his own, "you can tell me what's bothering you, maybe you'll feel better sharing it with me."

Her grip on his hands tightened and a tear streaked down her cheek, "Alex... I am scared."

"What happened?" He asked softly, wiping the tear away, "you're making me very worried for you right now."

Dora couldn't tell him what was bothering him because she could not let Tim's secret out to anyone, not even to her brother. She had promised him to keep the secret about him being Red Robin to herself only and she couldn't dare to break his trust in her.

She was in a conflict because she knew Alex was getting anxious for her but she couldn't confide in him the true reason for her worrisome state.

"Why are you scared? Did you have a nightmare again?"

She nodded and tears welled up in her eyes, because even though she hadn't slept a wink, each wakeful moment of thinking what Tim would be facing right then felt like a dreadful nightmare.

He brought her close in a comforting hug, rubbing her back to soothe her, "it was just a nightmare. It's not going to come true."

She couldn't keep the tears in any longer and as he held her close, she broke down crying. Alex was trying his best to comfort her and deep down it was tearing his heart apart to see his little sister in so much pain.

She wasn't telling him what nightmare she had had, but he had a fair idea that it was probably about her losing someone she cared about most. Dora's worst fear was losing the people she loved, he still remembered the past year when they had to deal with her constant panic attacks induced by the fear toxin Scarecrow had inflicted on her.

There were two people she loved and cared about most and couldn't bear to lose. Alex knew those two people were his own self and Tim. And judging by the fact that she wasn't getting better even though he was right there, the nightmare she had mentioned must have been about Tim.

"Dora, nothing is going to happen to Tim. He couldn't come and see you because he's not in Gotham at the moment," he resumed in a soft tone, "but he'll be back soon. There's nothing to worry about."

Brown looked up in concerned honey shaded irises, "you can't promise that, can you?"

"He will be back and he will be alright," he stressed his words, "I promise."

"You know nothing, Al, nothing..."

Even though the words made him confused, he let it slide thinking that she was unstable due to the nightmare and didn't really mean it, "what I know is that you're getting troubled for no reason at all. And by doing so, you're hurting yourself. Look at you, Dora... You look as if you haven't slept the entire night."

"Because I didn't... My head hurts so bad that it feels like it will explode."

His brow furrowed in concern, "wait here, I will bring an aspirin for you. It will help in making your headache go away and you will be better in no time."

He stood up but her hand didn't let go of his wrist. "Don't go. Please..."

He sighed, sitting down on the bed again, "fine. I am not going anywhere but you have to eat breakfast. You'll only make your state worse by not resting and not eating anything."

She didn't feel like eating even a single morsel for her stomach was churning in fear and dread but seeing that Alex was quite concerned for her and not wanting to make him further anxious, she nodded in reply.

He handed her the cup of coffee and her eyes welled up again because coffee reminded her of Tim. Everything reminded her of Tim; his soft blue eyes, his gentle smile, his sweet kisses and his loving words.

And to think that she was so close to losing it all made her heart churn again. She almost dropped the cup, her hands were trembling so Alex quickly took it from her, honey colored eyes widening in alarm, "Dora?"

"I'm so sorry, Al, but I can't..."

Her features were paler than the night Shadow Walker had sucked an immense amount of blood from her and it terrified Alex to see her as such. He had no idea what had happened to her nor could he think of any way to make her feel better.

He knew she was only going to get better once she saw Tim safe and sound right in front of her. Until then, everything else would be futile. He hoped Tim returned soon otherwise Dora's state could get worse and he couldn't let his sister relapse to the same state she had been when she had been under the effect of the fear toxin.

***