CHAPTER 26: Noble Soldiers

Start from the beginning

Why wasn't the dream disappearing from your head? Didn't most dreams usually disappear moments after waking up?

Eventually you realized that there would be no sleep for you tonight and gave in. The headquarters had gone quiet around you, but you still made sure to tip-toe so no one would catch you wandering about. You aimlessly walked around the corridors, hearing snoring from a few of the rooms as you passed by. The young ghost haunting the floors of her beloved house.

You made it to the ground floor and saw a bit of warm light peeking from under the ajar door to an office. Curious, you carefully sneaked over to the door and peered through the crack, but when you saw the familiar head of neatly combed black hair sitting at the desk in front, your eyes widened and you quickly tried to back away as quietly as possible. But the floorboard underneath you suddenly creaked, and your position was betrayed.

"Come in."

You froze when you heard Captain Levi's command. But there was no point in declining an order, so you pushed the door open and closed it after you once you were inside. He was sitting at his desk.

"Good evening, sir," you greeted timidly.

"Tch, it's nearly three o'clock in the morning," he said, crossing his arms as he put down his cup of tea on the table. "What are you sneaking around in the middle of the night for?"

"Exercise, sir," you offered. Levi scoffed and clicked his tongue.

"It's a little too early to be exercising your body when you have all of the morning to do that."

"I didn't know it was forbidden, sir," you said.

"It's not. I was simply curious about your whereabouts," he said. His words were calm as usual, but there was no suspicion in them. "Ruining your sleep schedule will do you no good."

"I know, sir," you said, rubbing the spot behind your neck. "I'll try to be more subtle next time. I'm sorry for the disturbance."

"Though, I would appreciate it if you were honest with me as to why you're up and about at this hour," said Levi, his gaze boring into you. "Why do you do so?"

The images flashed in your mind again. A sea of hot flames, dead subordinates, ash and soot, your severed body parts scattered all around, and the giant explosions that nearly killed you—

Suddenly you felt completely vulnerable in your place. You helplessly stared into Levi's eyes, and at once he understood. Something flickered in his own hues in response, and you swore that it was understanding. Maybe even some compassion.

He took a sip of tea from his cup. "I see."

Levi resumed arranging the items on his desk and leaned back into a more comfortable sitting position. Your eyes darted around the office for a few good moments as you wondered what else to do besides leaving. There was a fireplace situated by the wall, barren and empty despite the chill of the night.

The corporal's voice suddenly caught your attention.

"If you want to start a fire, go ahead."

You tensed up a little. A fire was only well behaved in its bed of iron, but should the wind call upon its spark, should the earth call for its flame, should the water cry out for warmth — fire could easily take the leap. It was the very last thing you wanted near you.

"It's alright, sir," you replied, a little bit of panic in your tone. "I don't mind the cold."

"Why?"

"I don't like fire," you answered meekly.

Levi looked up at you for a second before returning his eyes to the papers on his desk.