Chapter Sixteen 16th May 2019, 15:47pm.

Nathaniel sips at the double whisky, placing the tumbler down at the table. He eyes the bartender, as he judges him with a glance now and then.

Yeah, yeah, Nathaniel thinks, turning his attention away from the bar and at Beatrice who's practically bouncing in her seat. He looks around the empty room, a sigh itching at his chest.

Nathaniel had pulled out a chair for her when the bartender wasn't looking, to give her a sense of normality being able to sit down with him.

He watches as she tries to move the tumbler and the table, her hand going through the glass. She sighs, "I... just want to be able to feel something".

She shares a glance with him, as she leans back in the chair, "Can others do it?".

"Others meaning spirits?" he interjects.

She nods, waiting patiently for an answer as he moons over it.

"Yeah, usually in my experience the bad ones," he whispers, hoping Daniel the bartender wouldn't catch on to him talking to no one.

"Do you think..." she hesitates, twisting the rings on her fingers, "that I could do it?".

Nathaniel looks her over in thought, at her green cardigan, one of the buttons loose at the top revealing her crisp white blouse. He looks at her paling eyes and tries to smile, "It's possible, yeah".

She leans back, a smile planted delicately on her face.

"I'm so happy," she sighs, "you have no idea what it's like having no one to talk to for so long".

"You thought you were alive when I met you," he points out, keeping his eye on Daniel.

Beatrice waves off his comment, "I was in denial and a lot more people ignore you when you get older," she remarks sadly.

"That's not true," he detests.

"Oh really?" she bites back, brows raised.

Nathaniel gives her a short nod.

"Then you would have noticed the man sitting over there in the corner of the room," she points behind him. Nathaniel tilts his head back, but all the chairs and booths remain empty.

He gives her an odd look, "Stop pulling my leg".

Beatrice opens her mouth to protest but loses her words as she looks out of the doors of the room and out into the main hall.

He follows her gaze, locking onto the petite blonde lady walking in the opposite direction.

He squints his eyes, noticing her cane as she starts to fade out of view.

"I..." Beatrice pauses, as though an unknown secret dangle on her thin lips, "I think I know her".

"You do?" he says, feeling uncertain. Beatrice pipes up in her seat, "I... I do! I told you about her, that's the blonde woman!" she says in excitement.

Nathaniel opens his mouth to speak, but Beatrice beams, "I told you! Didn't I tell you? She could be my daughter!".

"I recognise her," he says, trying to catch her attention.

"Y-you what?" she asks her mouth ajar.

"Weren't you supposed to... I don't know, find out who she is yourself? Didn't I tell you that?" he ignores her question.

"I didn't hear anything important; she was just sitting in her room listening to a book I think," she shakes her head, "I can't believe how fast technology has grown".