XIX. La Vie En Rose

Começar do início

I stared for a beat to really think about it. The mere thought of my older brother scared me back into my shell, but I couldn't let Khaleel down. After I learnt that he'd make a full recovery after the stabbing, I also realised that I'd do pretty much about anything to please him. 

So, I kissed his forehead and stood to leave. My legs were numb but I shook it off and left just as Aafiya and a nurse came in. 

I wandered the corridors slowly and it felt like I was walking through quicksand rather than on these vinyl floors. Purposefully putting off the visit to my dead brother, I took a detour and ended up beside the entrance of the hospital where people came in and out like a conveyer belt. 

Among the group of smokers, who huddled under the shelter and away from the rain that poured so roughly outside, was Julien without a beanie on his head. His brown hair was tousled from the wind and he watched the grey sky with a frown. The last time I'd spoken to my cousin, he'd told me that I was on my own. Clearly, he didn't mean it since he was still here now and had been since the night of the stabbing too, holding me so tightly that I felt like recently shattered porcelain.

I stood next to him silently and my heart filled with a subtle thankfulness. Even though I had been so mad at him just days ago, I couldn't express how grateful I was that he was still here for me now. His girlish sort of face had hardened from lack of sleep and food. When he turned his head and saw me, I noticed that he looked sadder now than ever.

"I'm sorry I threw my shoe at you," he murmured and it was difficult to hear him.

I shrugged. "That's not really what I was worried about." 

"I'm sorry too for calling your dad, that was so beyond screwed and I'm not sure why I did it. For what it's worth, I phoned him back and said there was a mistake, so he's not on his way or anything. I'm also sorry for saying all that shit about Khaleel because I was wrong. I should have listened to you and trusted you. If we hadn't have argued then I would have been with you when that dipshit Francis and that idiot D'Angelo took you and I could've helped." 

I scoffed. "Yeah, right. I doubt you could have done anything except bored them to death, you're not exactly Rocky."

He elbowed my ribs. "I'm being serious, though. I don't know what I would have done if something had happened to you. I never would have forgiven myself for it. You're my best friend, Charlie. I wish this would have panned out differently and I'm glad that Khaleel's okay now. His sister was worried sick about him. And, your brother was worried sick about you. Did you know that Henri was still alive?" 

There was something so sad about the way he said Henri's name. 

"I had no idea..." I trailed off, feeling so betrayed and so confused. 

"Well, he's in the waiting room. I haven't really talked to him since the night that it all went down. He just showed up out of nowhere and ran to the basement without even a word. That ginger he brought along with him phoned the police and then we were all down there. It happened so fast, I was sure I was seeing things, that there was no way my dead cousin had just rushed past me to the theatre basement." 

Goosebumps had sprouted all along my arms and the winter chill eased its way up my back, leaving me shivering and nervous. "Will you come with me to see Henri?" I whispered. 

Julien looked down at me with his swollen eyes and smiled softly. 

X X X