"The One Thing They Didn't Take Away"

Right now, in this moment, he was alone. And that's all that mattered.

He was alone.

Aang wanted to be alone; a bit rich coming from an energetic extrovert who usually flourished in the presence of other people. However, tonight was the exception.

He had been tossing and turning all night, unable to fall asleep for the past few hours. Aang knew he got this way at times when he was stressed, but this was a certain kind of stress that he couldn't put to rest. No matter how exhausted his body felt, Aang's mind just wouldn't let him drift into slumber. But he had a plan prepared for whenever he felt this way. And no one else knew about it. It's all his.

Aang poked his head out of his tent and searched around. Katara, Sokka, Toph, even Momo and Appa we're all still sleeping.

Good.

It's easier to sneak off if they are. If any of them were awake he'd have to lie about where he was going. Pretend as if he was just planning to meditate and needed a quiet place to do so. (Which is not entirely untrue but not entirely the truth either.) Aang hated lying in all forms though, no matter how small of a white lie it may be. So it's better for everybody if no one knew what he was about to do.

He placed his hand over the hidden pocket inside of his air nomad robe and felt the instrument through the fabric. It was still there. Of course it was. He never went anywhere without it. Still, Aang made sure to check that it stayed in his possession every day. He didn't know what he would do if he'd lost it. And while Aang knew Air Nomads were supposed to keep personal belongings to a minimum, he couldn't help it when it came to this idem. This was far too important.

Aang held his breath as he slowly made his way out of the tent, eying his sleeping friends the entire time. The moon was still out but it would be dawn soon enough. He figured he had some time before the sun would fully rise in the sky and his friends would start cooking breakfast.

Aang had another long day of Sokka cracking jokes, Katara keeping everyone in line, and practicing earthbending from the newest member of the group, Toph, whose method of teaching seemed to be less about bending techniques, and more about throwing rocks at his face.

It would be a long day for sure and not exactly one he was eager to start. He estimated he had roughly 20 minutes before he had to head back to the group and pretend to wake up for real. That's fine. 20 minutes is enough for him.

Aang tipped-toed around his friends, using the help of his airbending to barely leave a sound and making sure not to disturb anyone's slumber. They were lucky that they could rest. Nights like these to Aang made the moonlight feel almost too bright and the silence too noisy to fall asleep. He didn't want to wake and worry anyone, at least his friends could get a good night's sleep.

Aang made his way to the perfect tree for what he was planning to do, and where he believed was a far enough place away from camp where no one could hear him. Funny enough the moonlight had practically guided him right to this very spot. Lighting up the tall tree making it shine and stand out from the rest of the forest.

He thanked the moon for bringing him here and launched himself up using the glow of his airbending to practically shoot himself in the air to land on one of the larger tree branches. There he peered down below on the land that surrounded him, letting himself take in the view while embracing the fresh breeze blowing on his face.