20. The beauty of disappointment

Start from the beginning

As I said, I didn't fear disappointment, in this case the one that had arisen when Fred turned to Angelina, it was inevitable, but I was also no idiot and by no means would I let myself endure something so unnecessary and self-destructive.

So I would say that I didn't mind, that Fred and I most clearly had no connection, and these past few weeks were a mere dent or detore in my timeline, and I would keep the reality of the situation silenced and burrowed inside me at all costs.

That reality being, that for the first time in my sixteen years of existence, I had never felt more seen than I had by Fred Weasley, because my desperation to be invisible seemed to evaporate around him, and knowing that he chose to stay, the anomaly to my statistics, even for a short while, was probably more than anyone else would ever want to offer me.

Because I recognised my differences, my sheltered and atypical approach to life was chaotic and strange and I doubted that anyone had a heart as pure as the one beating in Fred's chest to want to dabble in a broken mess.

So I gathered myself, not that I needed gathering because as I said I was completely and utterly fine, and made my way towards the twins dorm, careful not to wake Hermione on my way.

Having not seen them since the party, courtesy of Draco, Sirius and the fact I had slipped back into the common room fairly late after my day with Sirius, and opted to go straight to bed, neglecting dinner after having absentmindedly snacked on chips all afternoon whilst engaging in conversation, I felt a mild twinge of awkward anticipation course through me as I knocked on the door.

"Come in!" An all too familiar voice, slick like honey whilst still holding a husky and gravelly edge, sounded, inviting me inside.

I wordlessly entered, closing the door behind me, and glancing over at Fred who was rummaging through his dresser, his back to me, as he searched for, what I could only assume was, a t-shirt to cover his exposed chest.

"Hey" I whispered, making my way over to him and perching myself onto the edge of his bed, not waiting for an invitation, as I noted George's absence in the room.

His head instantaneously lifted at the sound of my entrance, stopping his search for a t-shirt, opting to leave his chest bare, much to my both dismay and enjoyment.

Immediately his disgruntled expression softened, and a syrupy grin tugged at his perfect, plump lips, but it took everything inside me to avert my gaze from those golden eyes I undoubtedly would have lost myself within.

"Hey you" Fred chuckled, the tender look in his eye visibly shifting to something more sinister and daring. "I haven't seen you since the party"

"Yeah, sorry about that" I lied coyly, not mentioning the fact this was absolutely no accident, "Yesterday was intense, Sirius and whatnot" I added, slightly disheartened he hadn't seemed to remember, maybe he didn't listen as intently as he led me to believe.

"Oh shit of course, I am so sorry I should have come and found you, how was it?" He asked, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear that had fallen in front of my eyes, an adoring expression gracing his features.

"Yeah good, that actually wasn't what I came to talk about" I started nervously, standing up off the bed and moving towards the open window, feeling suddenly overwhelmed with our increasing proximity.

"Is everything alright?" He asked anxiously, the look on his face shifting from tender to concerned, but even slightly disgruntled, Fred's skin was still radiant, his pale complexion adorned with a beautiful consolation of freckles I couldn't help but study for a brief moment.

I took a deep, elongated and wavering breath before starting, "I couldn't find anyone after the party, I needed someone to take me back, I was feeling slightly lost and out of place by the end of the night" I began.