Chapter 9 - Pranksters pair in the making

The knock is quick and sharp. Not even waiting for an answer, the door burst open on an angry Winter Soldier.

"Where's this little scoundrel?!" His brows are furrowed and he is clenching his fist sporadically. The metal arm glints with his every move. He is, too, out of breath. He scans the room, looking for Scott. God, he is so handsome, how is it even possible? And why cannot I stop drooling over the super-soldiers? Suddenly, he stops in his search and slowly turns his face to me. He realizes I am looking at him intently. "Oh...So that's your room, sorry 'bout that", he says embarrassed, beginning to back off.

I decide to play along, acting oblivious. "No, please, search...whatever you're searching for", I reply raising an eyebrow. As I stare at him, he clears his throat. I decide to tease him a little more, "what are you searching for exactly?" I tilt my head to the side innocently, to see how he would react.

"Hrm, well, I huh I am searching for Scott", he frowns, "he played a little prank on me and I want to talk it over with him." He offers me a forced smile.

"Talk it over huh? Why not be honest and say you want to kick his ass?" I scoff. His frown deepens and he eyes me suspiciously.

"Why are you always acting like you know what's in there", he asks, pointing at his temple.

Oh, this is no good. I don't really wanna see a suspicious Winter Soldier, he's kinda scary. Maybe I went too far with the joke? Well, the most important is that Scott doesn't get found, so maybe a little trouble on me is worth it.

"What do you mean...no, I don't know what's going on up there, it's just that you stormed the room, cussing and clenching your fists, so it is no rocket science." I try to sound offended.

He stares at me, I think he didn't buy it. Though it is true, it is not the entire truth, and I think he smells that something is fishy. He will have to go over my dead body to have me admitting I was checking him out. I have to cover my ass, so might as well go for the innocent act all the way now.

"I can't really move, as you can see, but if by any chance he comes around here, I'll tell him you're searching for him...to talk, obviously." I offer him my most innocent smile, God I feel so stupid. But I really need my ruse to work.

I suddenly hear a stifled laugh behind me. Lang you're so stupid, contain yourself for God sake! I mimic the laughing, hoping Barnes didn't notice it wasn't me. He looks sceptical but doesn't insist. He glances once last time at all the monitors around me, before nodding and leaving.

Once I don't hear his footsteps echoing along the hallway anymore, I motion for Scott to leave his hiding. As he stands up and dusts his clothes, I call out to F.R.I.D.A.Y., "do I have the required clearance to ask you to delete the footage of Scott entering this room before Sergeant Barnes?"

"I am afraid not, Miss."

"Well, could you, in this case, not disclose it to anyone unless...it is either Miss Romanoff or Mr Stark, please?"

"Giving that it is a request of access rights limitation and not of deletion, I think I can do that Miss Inès."

"And could you do that too for the conversation we're are gonna have from now until Scott leaves the room, thanks, F.R.I.D.A.Y.." I smile. It's a good thing Barnes will not be able to access that without Tony or Nat. I mean Tony will be too busy with his work to look into Barnes stupid rivalry and given their up-and-down relationship he is clearly not going to ask for him. As for Natasha, I can count on her to defend my implication in a harmless joke. And I'm not sure Mr Freeze is well acquainted enough with her to ask for her help. The others are just too much on good terms with him to be allowed to see this. "Sound like a pretty solid plan to me", I conclude explaining my reasoning to Scott.