Chapter 8 - Not-so-calm recovery

Everyone seems confused at my words and then it clicks. I'm so dumb. Apart from Nat, nobody knows about my theory, so they don't know how I know every one of them. They are still wondering about it and I just brought the burning issue back at the front of their minds. How stupid am I? Quick Inès, diffuse the tension, create a diversion.

"Asgardians, why are you here? I didn't know you were that fond of me Thor", I say quirking my eyebrow.

"A king knows basic rules of politeness-", he sighs heavily before Loki cuts him off.

"I didn't want to come, I had no choice, he dragged me here."

"Uh-huh", I smile, "I didn't expect less from you Loki, but you Thor, I am disappointed, I thought we determined earlier that I had nothing that belonged to you, so spare yourself of the fake concern." He frowns and Loki's grin widens. "You don't like me so it's no rocket science that you don't care about me, Lord of Thunder."

Everyone has observed the exchange between Thor and me. From the corner of my eye, I see Natasha stifling a laugh and I wink at her. It is enough to crack her up. They all turn towards her, probably unaccustomed to this side of her. When she notices that every one of them is looking at her, she tries to calm herself and to explain.

"It's- it's just that- earlier when Inès- oh gosh, tell them I can't- it's too funny." She is laughing hysterically. I've never seen Natasha like that. She must find it either very fun or she was incredibly nervous and she just blows a fuse.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y. can you show the footage of my discussion with Thor in the cells, please", I ask. Then I turn towards them and explain. "You'll understand what Nat is referring to, it just happened...like...a few hours ago, I think?"

Tony mouthes ten as they all turn the screen and wait for F.R.I.D.A.Y. to play the recording. What the- ten hours really? I've been out for this long? The footage starts to roll and I see myself in the cell, facing Thor, Loki, Tony, and Nat. We all hear Thor shouting at me and then me snapping. I watch myself scream at Thor. Gosh, I didn't though I looked like such a fury, no wonder why they were all dumbstruck after that.

"Well, now you know", I say with a smile. I hold up my right hand in a swearing motion. "I promise I won't talk to any one of you like that unless you give me a reason to." They don't seem to believe me, maybe the huge grin on my face doesn't help.

"Deal", I hear someone shout, it's Scott. I chuckle. I notice Cap and Tony exchanging looks and making faces as if they were communicating silently.

"Want to share with us boys?" I look at them in turns. Everyone stops to look at me. "What? They're not really the discreet kind, are they?" I search for a sign on their faces, one by one. No one replies. Whoops, embarassiiiing. Nat finally agrees with a nod but the rest of them stay extremely confused.

"Don't worry, we were only talking about you, all in good I promise!" Tony holds up his hands defensively.

"You're totally reckless...I can't believe you've yelled at Thor like that, do you know he is the God of Thunder, he could've killed you if he had wanted", Rogers tells me off.

"Oooooh, careful Rogers", taunts Loki, "she did not show you but I told her the same thing and I was rebuffed, quite harshly I have to say."

Steve turns back at me with a raised eyebrow after hearing Loki. Oh, I'm in trouble, so much trouble. I don't like that look on his face.

"Same thing I told Loki, I know your cells are powers proof", I mimic the quote marks. "So I wasn't worried about Thor's powers, I know you designed them to be able to contain, I'm sorry Bruce", I say glancing at him, "the Hulk."

Steve sighs with a defeated look on his face. I notice they were looking at our exchange the whole time. I quirk an eyebrow at them and they pretend not to notice and Sam even starts to whistle uncomfortably. Bruce then saves my ass by rushing them out of the room, claiming that I need rest to recover. Once everyone has left the room I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"They're quite a bunch to handle I have to admit, I don't know how you put up with them daily Nat."

"Don't worry, sometimes I don't, but they know better than to bother me", she chuckles.

"I will take my leave then, I hope you will recover, I am quite curious about what type of person you are", Loki says as exiting the room.

"Where are you going", I ask. He stops on the doorstep.

"I have a library on Asgard and I have the feeling it could contain some answers to our questions about you", he answers looking at me over his shoulder.

"Well, now that they are all gone, I'm gonna cuff you to the bed for the time being, in a few hours when we will be sure your condition is stable, we will move you back to your cell", Tony explains to me.

I see Nat and Bruce frowning in unison. To me it just seems fair that Tony doesn't trust me, I mean look at all he's been through, it's only normal when you look at all the treason he has suffered.

"Tony, I don't think that's necessary", starts Bruce.

"She can barely take three steps, look at her, how could she be a threat, and by the way, we are eight over-trained people in here", adds Nat.

"Think about it Tony, it's not that big of a deal if we put her in a spare room, plus F.R.I.D.A.Y. can be watching over her as good as in the cells."

"Fine, but you figure out a way of taking turns checking on her, and I will not help", he finally gives in. "I will not help, did I make myself clear?"

In the end, Natasha and Bruce move me and all the equipment into a spare room upstairs of the facility. It takes two hours to move everything. Once I'm all settled up, Natasha sits beside me and we talk a bit.

"Sorry for Sam, he's always like that."

"Oh I don't mind, he's a bit weird but at least he's welcoming", I chuckle, "some others are a little more reluctant as I see."

"Yeah sorry for Steve too, but he'll warm up to you I promise", she smiles at me, "I mean how can't he, look at you!"

We both laugh and speak for a little while. At a moment, she stands up and leaves me to do what she has to, but not before she promised me to come back later that day. I spend the time conversing with F.R.I.D.A.Y. but in the afternoon I hear rummaging in the corridor and suddenly the door opens on an out-of-breath Scott.

"Can I help you?"

"Actually yes, can I hide in here? I have a really angry Bucky on my trails."

"On one condition."

"Everything you want, but please let me hide before", he sweats profusely.

He goes to hide between the nightstand and the wall but I quickly indicate him to come by my side and hide behind the bed at the opposite of the door. Just as his head disappears under the bed, we hear a knock on the door.

❋❋❋

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I know I promised you the chapter at 6 and now we're an hour and a half later. The WiFi is just way too capricious here. Anyway, a new chapter I have promised and a new chapter you have! I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

By the way, who's gonna watch (or has already watched) Falcon and The Winter Soldier? I have a scheduled screening with one of my friends (Safaiaookami I see you there) and we have already watched all of WandaVision together. I'm so excited! I can't wait, they've just teased us so much on IG and all.

As always, stay safe and do every day something that brings you joy, I love you all! 😘

❋❋❋