~Prologue~

My name is Juliet, Jewels for short. Cameron gave me that nickname when I was about four years old and it just... stuck. Our moms were best friends growing up; even high school wasn't enough to break their bond. In fact they went to college together, followed each other to San Marcos, Texas right outside of Austin to raise their families. Their whole lives they have been inseparable, and they are still best friends to this day.

Cameron is two years older than me, and one year younger than my sister Grace. Grace always hung out with Cam's sisters Ashley and Erica while I hung out with Cameron. He always had a weird crush on Grace while he was completely oblivious to the fact that I liked him. I tried to make my feelings for him the least bit obvious and I think I did... I think. All I knew was that he didn't like me back, and I didn't blame him, reason being that I wasn't the prettiest girl.

I was chubby, well I was actually fat, but my mom told me it was just baby fat and I would lose it soon enough. That's what a mother is supposed to tell you, right? Adding to my weight, I wore glasses and my hair was so frizzy that the only way I could wear it was up in a ponytail along with a headband to tame it, keeping the monstrosity of my thick brown hair away from my face. I didn't wear make-up at all growing up; I didn't even know how to use an eyelash curler properly, much less something as simple as a mascara brush. There was no sense of fashion lingering in my mind, meaning that I was most certainly not the best dressed. I would normally wear Grace's hammy downs, but I soon grew too big to fit into anything anymore. I walked around the halls sporting baggy t-shirts and long shorts, looking like a tomboy or what everyone at school would call me, a freak. It's not healthy to feel so insecure at such a young age, and I felt the depression deepen every time I looked at Grace who was absolutely breath-taking.

On top of the awkward appearance that I presented, my personality just as well radiated off of me as awkward. Reading. Reading was my life, hobby, passion, everything that I could possibly live for. I could read about six to eight books in one week as a child. It's the most amazing feeling in the world to be able to put yourself in a whole new life with new people and a happy ending. The emotions that I could easily consume with my nose in a book gave me the power to grasp a hold of what I couldn't in reality; it's an escape. It's also a no-brainer that I liked to study as well, making me the smartest girl in my class, but as much as I tried to make myself smart, it didn't change the fact that I was in love with my best friend and he thought of me as nothing more. Not only was I bullied in school, but Cam was bullied just as well; I was a nerd and he was the complete opposite. I felt bad when he would fail a test or was called out to read in the middle of a lesson and he stumbled over his words with a stutter and anxiety that his dyslexia would overpower. Yeah, kids were cruel, even in elementary school. I tried to help him as much as I could with his homework, and he repaid me by being my friend. My only friend. Cameron did have some friends, few that he could really rely one, and I was one of them. On the other hand, he was the only person who could really put a smile on my face. Through everything we encountered during school hours, we continued to stick together. Besides that, I was still in constant battle with myself as I studied the internal love triangle between Grace, Cameron and myself.

Around age 10 (Cameron 12), my dad got a new job in Virginia. He ended up moving that fall, taking my mom, Grace and me with him. Karen, Cameron's mom, didn't follow this time, making this the first time for my mom and her to become separated. It broke my heart to watch the bump in the road slowly rise, making it become an obstacle just for our families to spend time with each other. On the other hand, our parents made a promise to stay in touch as much as possible, and that meant we could stay in the cabin our families shared every Christmas holiday in Colorado. We would reunite, Cam and I, and he would always be the sweetest boy I knew. He continued to grow more and more handsome; his green eyes surrounded with the prettiest eyelashes, his tan skin and his charming smile. His hair was starting to lose its curl and fell more straight as it grew a bit longer. I was always the same height as him, but that changed entirely when he would grow a several more inches than the last I would see him.

Normally during the holidays we would go outside to play in the snow, or go into our room with bunk beds and watch movies all day. Sometimes we would have a special day where we would bake cookies all day and then eat them before anyone else had the chance. All I could say is that those two weeks together definitely made up for the whole year we went without each other. This continued for a few years until we didn't meet them at the cabin for the first time, ever. After 13 Christmases together, that cabin laid untouched.

I was 13 and he was about to turn 15; he was a freshman in high school, I was in 7th grade. When I was 15, Grace became ill. She was diagnosed with bone cancer, and got nothing but worse.

Since I had moved to Virginia, Grace was the only person I could depend on since Cameron never bothered to get a hold of me. I never got texts, calls, or Facebook messages from him, though I never stayed updated with it anyways. The neglect of my "best friend" angered me; I wanted nothing to do with him, especially while I was going through hard changes. Everything was changing. The relationship with my parents became awkward, Grace became so sick that I couldn't cope, and to top it all off, I was changing.

I was growing prettier and prettier every second, and the attention I started to receive from boys was foreign to me, so I chose to stay away like I normally would. It was hard to become the new nerdy girl and start a whole new life in Virginia with all new people who treated you like worthless shit, and then have your appearance completely change for the better and then everyone starts to finally appreciate that you are actually a human and not invisible. I could see right through these people at my school, so I decided to stay awkward Jewels instead of letting my new found beauty sink into my head. Basically, I was the same Jewels I have been my entire life, except I didn't look like her, at all. As cliché as it sounds, I was the ugly duckling that fortunately turned into a swan; I grew out of my shell and become nothing but attractive to everyone else, yet, I still felt as insecure as ever.

The last time I heard about Cameron, he had a girlfriend and she was a model. Of course once I am kicked out of the picture, he opened his eyes to bigger and better things. I knew I would never have a chance if he could win the heart of a model. But that was last year, and the last time I ever spoke to him was four years ago. I soon realized it was time for the ship to sail. I forgot about Cameron. I didn't love him, I didn't know him, he never once popped into my head; he didn't exist to me anymore. My mind was set to think that I would probably never see him again until we were adults and we had just happened to cross paths. I wouldn't want to personally make plans with the boy who broke my heart, not over my dead body. At the end of the day, he was never coming back into my life again.

But those were yesterday's thoughts; that was until tragedy struck..