Prologue

~darkness greets me like an old friend, and the light is a stranger to my black heart~
I was four years old when my life, my entire future was altered. Maybe, in a parallel universe, I could have been Amethyst Amelia Chance, a mage in her own right, like who I had dreamed to be, but it was definitely not happening in this world.
On the day my ability appeared, before I could show anyone else, for I myself had no idea what it was, it was stolen from me, ripped away like it was nothing.
I remember it was one of the few thunderstorms Zyderio had a year, and I was in my room, minding my own business while my twin, Amy Ariana Ronera, was happily and ignorantly chatting away with her "boy" friend ,Tanner Damien.
I suddenly jolted up from my bed, feeling a rush of power course through my body and was childishly celebrating that I was getting my ability earlier than Amy, a small sibling rivalry, when I felt something sharp, glinting in the air, akin to nails, claw its way into my body and tear something away from deep inside me.
It was ethereal, seeing that ball of aura, that I somehow recognised as my power, fizz out in the gloved palm as black spots appeared in my vision. I could barely scream as the warmth disappeared, leaving my body as cold as the arctic wind, and emptier than the void. I caught of a glimpse of a black haired man with piercing gold eyes and a deceptively kind smile before I fell into oblivion.
After that, things took a turn for the worse, I told my parents what had occured that fateful night, told everyone whom I thought would have understood, believed in me, but none of them did. My parents thought I was lying, the butlers and maids insisted it was a dream and eventually when I was asked to produce it at the ability rank test for those 6-13 years, there was nothing.
I searched and searched, foraged for any sign, anything that showed that I was of use to this discriminative society, but it was a wild goose chase. It was gone, as if it never existed, written of as a Nothing, the lowest rank of society, a useless burden with no hope of contributing anything but their labour.
Attention turned to my sister after that, anything she wanted, she got. She could control the air, an atmosphere manipulator, but what was worse was that she could control the ozone layer, a rarity, a diamond in the rough. It was bad for the family's pure magical bloodline to be contaminated by a Nothing, so at the tender age of 7, I was made to be my sister's maid.
I gave up my attempts to convince anyone by my 8th birthday, as it was clear no one cared enough to believe. My only comfort was my sister, who conversed with me, quite friendly, but she never acknowledged me as her twin.
It wasn't really bad, I was just treated as a pitiful girl who was taken in from the streets, not the former heir of the Ronera inheritance. I took my mother's maiden name, Chance, while Amy followed my father, as per Zyderio's tradition for th first child to take after the mother and the rest the father. Thus my sister was doted on more from the start.
It only got worse when I turned 9, the age when your future partner was decided for you. Well I didn't have to worry much. My suitor, the prince of Merio, arrived, he instantly demanded to be wedded to my sister, not me, the "malfunctioning product" as he so kindly put it. I was thrown into the stables, and had no company for 3 days and nights, other than the horses, who were much kinder than humans, and stayed with me the entire time, letting me lie against them to rest.
Our family's head maid, Nadia, who was also the only one who believed me, gave me food and water, and when I questioned her as to why she was helping me, she simply replied: "The Madam only said to keep you inside and away from any type of luxury, but food and water is a necessity not a luxury."I've never been so grateful to just have simple bread and water, which I've grown used to since mere servants do not receive noble food.
Nadia was, and still is, in my heart, the kindest person in this world. She cares not for appearance, status or bloodline, but for personality and behaviour. However, not even Nadia could fix everything, and I ran away from that horrid place 5 years later.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Apr 30, 2022 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Chanceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें