Part 8

Ten year old Beth pointed excitedly at the monkey scratching its butt behind the glass. "Look, Bucky! It's you!"

Twenty year old Becca laughed until she snorted. "I've taught you well, young one."

Bella sighed while flipping through the map of the zoo. "Be nice, kids."

"Oh, yeah," Bucky said to Beth. "Well, the elephant I see looks like you."

"I don't see an elephant," Becca said, looking around.

"Should I get a mirror?" Bucky asked.

Pursing her lips, Becca nodded in approval. "Good one."

Bucky grinned. "Thanks."

His hands were clammy in his jacket pocket as he fidgeted anxiously. He just had to get the news out and get it over with.

"Look, Bella!" Becca pointed at one of the men's shirts in the souvenir shop. "You think I should get this one?"

"For who? Your dreamboat boyfriend?" Bucky teased.

Blushing heavily, she turned away. "Shut up, Bucky."

"Well, I think dreamboat Proctor would loooove it," Beth sang. "Just like you loooove him!"

"Beth!" Becca yelled jokingly, running after the girl who screamed in delight at the chase. "Whose side are you on anyway?"

The two remaining siblings stood and watched in amusement at their younger siblings' antics.

A moment or two passed of silence until Bucky turned to his sister. "I have to tell you something."

Bella looked down, biting her lip. "I know, Buck."

"You... you do?"

"I saw the letter. I was just waiting for you to tell us when you were ready. I didn't want to pressure you or anything and make you even more worried. I know you're probably scared and nervous enough as it is and I just didn't—"

"Why are you the nicest person on the planet?" Bucky asked.

She smiled, rolling her eyes. "I'm really not. But maybe since you and your siblings are insane knuckleheads who only show love through insults, I may come off as a saint."

Bucky put a hand to his heart and winced. "Insane knuckleheads? Am I witnessing the first mean thing Bella Barnes has ever said?"

"What can I say? It's a momentous occasion."

At that moment, the two other girls who had been playing had run up and joined them.

"What's a momentous occasion?" Becca asked, her arms tossed around her little sister's. Both their faces were flushed from all the running and Beth was happily licking an ice cream cone.

"A college actually accepting you," Bucky quipped.

"Oh, please. I got into every university I applied to. As if anyone could reject this face." She gestured at her features.

"Give dreamboat Proctor a couple of days."

"Bucky..." Bella warned. "Be nice."

"Yeah, okay." His entire demeanor changed as he prepared himself for the next words he had to say.

Noticing the changes, Becca let go of her sister and took a step closer to her brother. "What's going on?" she asked.

He swallowed nervously, before taking a deep breath. "It's getting rough on the frontlines. They're getting desperate."