chap. 34

"Teucer..?"

"Big Brother!"

Childe roughly freed himself from (y/n)'s grip, panick written all over his face at the sight of his little brother.

"Teucer!", he panted. "Get away from here!"

The smaller boy slowed down, confused at the scared expression on Childe's face while his wide smile was replaced with a questioning look.

(y/n) flinched as the ground trembled beneath her feet again.

"Is something wrong, big brother?"

The Fatui opened his mouth, terror filling his eyes. Just as he was about to say something, the figures of ruin guards appeared behind the younger male.

Teucer turned around at the robotic sounds they made while coming closer, excitement spreading through his body.

He quickly jumped up and pointed towards them, a joyful grin resting on his face. "Look! Two Mr. Cyclops!! And a flying one! Isn't this awesome?"

Childe's heart skipped a beat. A ruin hunter?

(y/n) was stunned; distracted by the sudden appearance of a little child in the middle of nowhere.

Childe screamed Teucers name in despair, his body hurting as he tried to reach out for his little sibling.

"Big brother..?"

Teucer tilted his head in irritation, before turning back to the creatures that proceeded to steadily come closer. "Mr. Cyclops!". His eyes filled with happiness again as his feet carried him towards the ruin guards, the ruin hunter following close behind.

Childe breathed heavily, almost passing out from the pain that spread through his body. But his little brother was the only thing on his mind, as he clenched his fists.

(y/n) quickly shook her head, falling out of her trance. Concern washed over her face.

"Childe, stay back, I-"

Purple lighting.

"..will handle it.."

It all happened in the blink of an eye. The Habringer gathered his remaining strength, the safety of his sibling running through his mind as he reached out for him.

A red mask covered his face, his hand tightly holding onto purple blades made out of electro as he ran towards Teucer who was still amazed by the sight of so many ruin guards.

"Wahh!", the small boy cried out as someone harshly pushed him out of the way, causing him to cough when his body met the hard ground.

He quickly covered his ears and squinted his eyes, as crashing and lighting filled his senses.

Just a moment later, another figure ran past him; it looked like a girl, due to the feminine voice and the soft hair that glowed in the sunlight. He narrowed his eyes when she yelled his brothers name, asking himself what was going on.

Meanwhile Childe panted heavily as he dug his weapon in the eye of the second ruin guard, causing it to fall on the ground with a deafening crash. Dust flew around.

The ruin hunter still floated above the Fatui, who's mask fell off his face; revealing his strained expression. He retransformed from his Foul Legacy, his body not being able to stay in that form any longer.

Childe shook his head and recalled (y/n)'s words about ruin hunters.

"Weak points are common knowledge"

Repeating her words and actions in his mind, he hesitantly reached out for his bow. I just have to shoot the eye, right?

The enemies arms formed into wooden blades again, as Childe nocked an arrow, sweat running down the side of his head.

With a concentrated look on his face, he aimed at the eye, his injured hand shaking.

Seconds later an arrow met the center of the ruin guard's core, causing Childe to shut his eyes as he expected the creature to fall from
the sky.

He felt a little proud of himself, since his bow skills were horrible and his arm was wounded; nonetheless he chose to ignore the pain that spread through his left wrist and waited for the crash.

It never came.

Instead, a sharp blade made its way through his stomach, causing Childe's eyes to widen in shock.

His heart skipped a beat as the ruin hunter slowly pulled its arm out of his body again, blood stains covering the whole weapon.

The Harbinger closely watched as droplets of the red liquid dripped on the floor, before starting to cough violently. Blood continuously ran out of his deadly wound, as realization hit him.

"..only shoot the eye when it starts to glow. When the ruin hunter fires the bombs.."

His legs gave in, causing the male to roughly fall onto the hard ground. His vision blurred, dust flying into his face.

Being distracted by the unbearable pain, Childe didn't notice the ruin guard being shut down by someone a few moments after.

He breathed heavily, not being able to think clearly as he continued to lose more blood through the hole in his stomach.

And then, silence.

A small cry escaped his lips as pain ran through his veins. His clothes were covered in dirt and blood, but he couldn't care less at the moment.

A gentle touch on his cheek caused him to slowly open his eyes. He had no strength to move anymore, the urge of falling asleep taking over him.

(y/n) kneeled down, eyes filling with sadness at the sight of his state. He forced a smile on his face when he saw her, a little warmth filling his heart.

His orange hair messily covered his sight, as warm tears formed in his eyes. The normally confident facade broke, the heavy feeling of acceptance falling upon him; knowing that it was over for him.

(y/n) looked down, her finger tracing over the place where her aching heart was. It was like she could hear it breaking in her chest.

He was dying.

She felt a tear running down her hand, that was caressing his soft cheek, causing the female to avert her gaze to the panting Fatui. In that moment Childe, the feared Harbinger, couldn't help but cry.

He shortly looked at her with admiration, slightly leaning into her welcoming touch, feeling safe in her presence. It was silent; (y/n) not daring to say anything.

"I'm so.. tired", his voice was only a faint whisper by the end.

The edges of his vision slowly started to turn black, his breath slowing down as he felt tears dropping on his face, that were not his.

(y/n)'s sight blurred, feeling the warmth slowly leaving his body. Childe sunk into her touch, a warm smile resting on his face as he started losing consciousness.

But he didn't feel pain. He felt peace, as he took his last breath in his lovers arms.