Chapter One

Chapter one

[Joey's POV]

I had my head against the bus window. I took a last look at the house I grew up in: Alone.

I was always lonely. By lonely, I mean single. I never felt that 'zing'.

My buddies always came by for a smoke. And they always played checkers. I didn't know how to play checkers. And I don't smoke.

Just last week, most of them died from lung cancer.

The bus drove off to the retirement home.

After my monthly checkup three days ago, the doctor recommended me to stay at Snuggly Lifestyle Retirement Home for the rest of my life.

-

[Shane's POV]

I woke up to a man's voice: patting me, telling me to wake up. "Are you awake? Are you?" It's been a long time since someone tried waking me up. Nurses never try waking us seniors up. It must mean I have a new roommate. My last one died of having a heart attack.

"What the fuck do you want, asshole?" I responded in my sleepy voice. "Hey, that's not a nice way to treat a newbie." I sat up, rubbed my eyes and put on my glasses.

"Dearly sorry, Sir. The name is Shane Yaw. Nurses here call me Mr. Yaw. You can call me Shane. Back when I was a young fella, they called me Dawson." I gave him my hand to shake. He held my hand firmly and shook it. His hands were soft.

"Hello Shane. My name is Joseph Graceffa. I like being called Joey. It makes me feel younger."

[Joey's POV]

His blue orbs smiled with his lips. Shane yawns and stretches.

"So, how long have you been here?", I asked him. " About 3 years. I was a single, old, stressed out man before they brought me here."

"Oh, so you're not single?" I bit my thinning lip waiting for an answer.

"I'm still single, ready to mingle. Am I right?" He nudges me with his elbow.

I sigh. "Same. I kinda had given up on looking for the right one. No guy or girl really catches my eye."

Shane looked at me with wide eyes. "A hot hunk like you, giving up on love? Remarkable." I blush at his remark.

-------------------

Hey sharts, how ya doing? Short Chaptah.