30. Why

To my confusion, I woke up alone in what looked familiar. It was my home, but not exactly. It was torn and broken like a giant storm came and ripped up the entire world.

There is no wind and the world is still, yet my hair feels like it's coursing through the bitter air that surrounded me. My head pounded and felt warm as blood rushed around my brain.

I looked back to see my wings- or not see my wings. They are gone!

I pat my shoulder blades profusely but there is not even a single trace that my wings ever did rip through my back.

The world in front of me stood on fire.

Everything mentally to me is ablaze. The bottled up emotions are rising, beaming, and coursing through my veins. Everything is hatred, confusion, and impure feeling. I'm so exhausted. Everything is one thing after another and I can't handle it. The world I knew is in shambles, and Taylor was right. How can I handle it? I'm just a kid.

I let out a pained scream and tears roll down my face. I pound my fists into the concrete below me. One hit after another. I couldn't even feel the pain of the broken ground ripping away at my skin.

I finally stopped and froze. I sobbed and sulked as I let my head drop and my shoulders hunch. The hope I once sheltered inside of me has gone out like a flame in a candle being choked by a pinch of someone's fingers.

This has never been in my control and my efforts are wasted.

I finally stop crying for a moment to look down at my shaking hands. The adrenaline is running through me and there's blood streaming down my knuckles like a river.

I level a second, and a single thought pops into my mind.

Where am I really?

The last thing I can remember before it went dark was being blasted with some sort of electric laser gun and the feeling of being torn away.

They said I would be in their clutches, along with my team and the rest of the humans, but if that's the case, why am I in an abandoned version of Clinia?

I suppose I could see if it's only Clinia that's been wiped out.

For some odd reason I still have the determination to look around for some sort of miracle or clue.

I suddenly feel a sting from my hands. I yelp in pain.

Maybe I shouldn't have hit my fists against the ground.

I turn my head both ways in search for something to wrap my hands in.

If there's nobody here like at all, I guess I can just go inside someone's house and take what I need.

I get up slowly to walk towards a small yellow townhouse. Then I get hit with a flashback.

There's something that isn't adding up. Cosmo- or whoever the heck he actually is- said that our planet was now inhabited with clones, soooo where are they?

However he also mentioned us being watched. Like a human zoo?

Didn't he also mention testing?

I think for a moment.

This could be a test on what we do when faced with isolation and the broken world can make it seem more surreal.

I yell at the top of my lungs "I AM NOT ALONE!"

The world around me drops and binary code begins to appear and fade.

"Well done my friend," Cosmo claps for me. "I didn't expect you would solve that one so quickly."

"Why?" Is the only thing I can manage to say.

"Hold that thought- look down a moment."

I look down to see my hands are in perfectly good condition.

"How did I feel pain then?"

"Simulation. We are much more advanced than your kind. I would assume you are worried about your comrades, so I'll give you a little update. Dean had the same test as you and he passed with flying colors although it was rather depressing, he's used to being left out. Fun fact! He also wishes to be your boyfriend whatever that means here. My English isn't the absolute best-"

My cheeks turn red. He liked me?

"Yes, he did."

"You can read minds now?"

"Always could. Continuing on, Taylor's test was about her social abilities and being able to see that she's wrong and apologizing. She hasn't passed yet but it's only been a year so that's not surpri-"

"A YEAR?!"

"Time goes by a lot faster than you think when you are in a simulation. Again continuing on-"

"No, no! It's been a year?!"

"I just told you that it has been a year, was my English incorrect?"

"That can't be."

"IT CAN BE! WILL YOU BE QUIET NOW?"

He takes a deep breath in and out, then adjusts his suit.

"Apologies. Moving on. Your friend Sparrow is learning to be less...Sparrow...y."

I tilt my head and nod.

"As for Ezra, he's learning to express his feelings. Again...for you."

Once again my face turns bright cherry red.

Not as romantic as I would have hoped but in this situation I don't know how romantic it could have been.

"Naturally, it's time to bring you to your second test."

"If I know it's a test how will you get true results?"

"It's an agility test, not psychological. Bye bye."

"No- wait!"

The world around me becomes an obstacle course. It appears to be in the sky with tall trees below.

A voice appears in my mind. "Also your third test goes into this test. A test of human fears."

Oh great.