Chapter 24: The Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Oh, (Y/N)," Hange sighed. "You're so sweet, you know? I remember what you told me that day when you were describing your lady love. I've never had anyone think of me like that before."

"Are you kicking me off your squad?" (Y/N) asked quietly.

"Huh? No, what gave you that idea?" Hange looked confused.

"It sounds like you're rejecting me," (Y/N) said softly.

Hange frowned, slightly. "I'm not rejecting you, my dear, I just can't...I don't think it's a great idea for us to be in a relationship."

(Y/N) let in a shaky breath. That was fine. She knew Hange wouldn't return her feelings. She knew she wasn't good enough. She knew Hange wouldn't be into girls like her. She knew—

"Hey," Hange put her other hand on (Y/N)'s other cheek, snapping her out of her thoughts. "I said I wasn't rejecting you."

"I—but you said..."

"I know what I said and that wasn't a rejection, (Y/N). I actually like you too," Hange confessed. "I think you're cute and I admire your patience. I know I'm not an easy person to talk to since I get carried away, but you've always listened. I found your crush endearing. And somewhere along the way, I developed the same feelings for you. I...I look forward to seeing you everyday. I love your smile, the way you say my name, the way you act shy whenever I'm around. Sometimes I just want to take you in my arms and never let you go."

(Y/N)'s brain stopped processing. She looked at Hange, dumbfounded, "Wait, what?"

"Like I said, I'm not an easy person, (Y/N). I am really passionate about my work. My experiments are not just important to me, but important for our future against the titans. I will be busy, and I won't have a lot of recreational time. I might not be able to give you the attention you deserve. Days could pass by before I would be able to spend time with you. You deserve the sun, the moon, and all the stars in the galaxy. What I have can't compare, it's not enough."

(Y/N) studied Hange's face, astound. Was that really what Hange thought? That she wasn't good enough for (Y/N)? If only she knew what (Y/N) thought, if only she knew how much (Y/N) craved her.

"We also live a very dangerous lifestyle; I can't guarantee my survival or yours. You're already one of my weaknesses, you know? I can't...I can't fall completely in love with you, it would be dangerous. Is it really wise to find more weaknesses in a world you have to be your strongest?" Hange leaned closer, resting her forehead against (Y/N)'s.

(Y/N) could feel Hange's breath on her lips. She raised her left hand and tentatively placed it on the back of Hange's neck, entwining her fingers in the mess of Hange's hair. Hange's eyes fluttered closed briefly as she leaned into (Y/N)'s touch.

"Maybe in another life, love," Hange whispered the words against (Y/N)'s lips, her own lips brushed over (Y/N)'s, lingering for a few seconds. The feel of Hange's lips on her own made (Y/N)'s heart explode. Hange placed a chaste kiss on (Y/N)'s lips before pulling away completely.

(Y/N) looked at Hange, missing her touch already. She stared at Hange with a forlorn look on her face. That was it? Hange liked her back but they couldn't be together because of the stupid world they lived in? That wasn't fair. Why did Hange kiss her if she was just going to reject her?

"Let's go back," Hange cleared her throat, walking back to her horse. "I didn't really want to get any specimens, I just wanted to talk to you."

(Y/N) wordlessly walked back to her shoes, tugging them on, before walking them back to her horse. She grabbed the reins and swung herself up. She felt a hollowness she hadn't felt before. Was this what heartbreak felt like?

"I really am sorry, (Y/N), I never wanted to hurt you," Hange stated as they rode back to the base. "I wish we could be more; I really do. But for now, can we at least be friends?"

"Sure, that's probably for the best," (Y/N) responded hoarsely.

The two rode in silence back to the base. The sunny weather didn't seem appealing to (Y/N) anymore. She just wanted to climb into her bed and bury herself under her covers. This is why she hadn't wanted to tell Hange. She knew only heartbreak would be involved. Once they reached the stables, (Y/N) silently tied up her horse.

"I'll see you later, I guess," Hange smiled awkwardly before she left.

(Y/N) went straight to her room, her throat choking up with every second that passed. She could feel hot tears in her eyes. Why was she so sad? She knew that she never had a chance with Hange. She closed the door of her room and couldn't control her emotions anymore. Hot tears slid down (Y/N)'s face as she sniffed, swiping her nose with her sleeve. She laid face first in her bed, unable to do anything else.

A/N: Hi guys! I know this chapter was sad, it made me sad writing it! But I promise it gets much, much better in the next one! Before a rainbow, there has to be a little rain <3

Also, thank you all so much for the comments/kudos/votes! I never expected this story to be getting this much attention! All of your kind words are so encouraging! I've created an AOT x reader one-shots story that I will be publishing today. So if you have any Hange oneshots you would like to see, you're always welcome to request them :)