Chapter 12: Taking Care of Hange

"I'm so glad I can be in my room again," Hange sighed, content. She leaned back on her bed and looked around at the paperwork scattered everywhere.

(Y/N) smiled and adjusted the pillows behind Hange's back. A few days had passed since Hange's stay at the infirmary. She was finally let go this afternoon after the medic said she was much better now and would be able to take her casts off in about three weeks.

"Pass me that book, will you (Y/N)?" Hange asked, pointing to a book on her desk.

(Y/N) frowned. "You're not thinking of doing work, are you? The medic said to rest."

"No...I just want to do some leisure reading," Hange looked at (Y/N) innocently.

With a resigned sigh, (Y/N) handed Hange the book. She glanced at the cover and learned it was about the history of the titans. Of course, Hange only cared about learning about titans even when she was injured.

"What would you like to eat for dinner, Hange?"

"Hmm? I'm not hungry."

"You need to eat to recover faster. Now, I think the mess hall made vegetable stew today, I'll go grab some for you."

Hange didn't respond, all of her attention focused on the contents of the book. (Y/N) chuckled and left the room to go grab some dinner for the both of them.

(Y/N) returned with a steaming hot bowl of vegetable soup and a small loaf of crusty white bread. She bit her tongue in concentration, trying to keep the contents of the bowl from spilling on the tray.

"I'm bac—" (Y/N) faltered when she noticed Hange wasn't on the bed that she was left on. She scanned the room, panicking, before she saw Hange on the ground near her bed, going through paperwork.

"Hange! You could have waited, you're not supposed to put weight on your leg," (Y/N) cried as she put the tray on the desk and hurried to Hange's side.

"I figured," Hange winced, her hand rubbing the cast on her leg. "I just really wanted to go over the paperwork from before the expedition. I hadn't gotten a chance to look over it."

"I thought I told you no work," (Y/N) glared.

Hange pouted. "I was getting tired of being bed-ridden and doing nothing! Now, could you pretty please help me get back to the bed?"

Hange was lucky that (Y/N) had such a soft spot for her. (Y/N) knelt down, wrapping her arm around Hange's waist, and helped her stand up. (Y/N) hoped that Hange couldn't hear her pounding heart since they were so close. Hange's hand gripped (Y/N)'s shoulder and she practically hopped to the bed, using her one good leg.

(Y/N) lowered Hange back onto her bed, her face hovering a few inches above Hange's. It took everything (Y/N) had not to pause in that position and admire Hange's countenance.

"Thanks, (Y/N)!" Hange smiled.

"Now, it's time for dinner, okay?" (Y/N) picked up the tray from the desk and placed it on Hange's lap.

"Yes, ma'am," Hange giggled. "I feel like you're the section commander here."

(Y/N) shook her head, amused. "I want to see you finish this whole bowl of soup."

Hange picked up the spoon with her left hand and dipped it in the soup. She tried bringing it up to her mouth, but the spoon shook in her grasp and most of the contents fell out. Hange frowned.

"I didn't know I relied that much on my right hand," she sighed.

(Y/N) felt bad for Hange. She couldn't walk or use her dominant arm. Hange's vibrant personality wasn't made for lying in bed all day. She was a force of nature, someone who was constantly hustling and bustling.

(Y/N) took the spoon from Hange's grasp, dipping it into the soup, and bringing it up to her mouth. "That's what I'm here for."

Hange leaned forward and ate the contents on the spoon. She crinkled her nose. "This doesn't taste very good."

(Y/N) laughed at her expression and offered a piece of the bread. Instead of taking it from her hand, Hange leaned forward and ate the piece of bread from (Y/N)'s hand, her tongue lightly brushing against (Y/N)'s finger.

(Y/N) felt her heart stop at the touch of Hange's tongue. She averted her gaze and focused on tearing another piece of the bread, trying her best to conceal her shaky hands.

"Now, the bread tastes so much better!" Hange exclaimed, unperturbed by what had just happened.

"Uh-huh," (Y/N) forced a smile.

"Did you visit Moblit today?" Hange asked, tilting her head.

"Yeah he was discharged a while ago. He just needs to lay off the heavy work and not walk a lot," (Y/N) bought another spoonful of soup to Hange's mouth.

Hange leaned forward and ate the soup, lost in thought, before she said, "You know, (Y/N), you'd make him a good wife."

(Y/N) choked. "E-excuse me?"

"You're always red and blushy whenever he's around. Not to mention, you're very caring too. You're blushing now, thinking of him! It looks like you've really fallen hard for Moblit, huh?" Hange teased, poking (Y/N)'s side.

"I..."

"It's okay, (Y/N)! Since you'll be stuck with me for a while, we're basically best friends now! You can tell me anything."

(Y/N) didn't know how to tell Hange that she would be red because of her. That only Hange could increase her heart rate and cause her shortness of breath. That only Hange could cause butterflies to flutter around in her stomach.

"I guess so," (Y/N) mumbled.

"Aww, I think I embarrassed you. I'm sorry," Hange placed a hand on (Y/N)'s cheek.

"It's fine," (Y/N) extended a piece of bread again, this time trying to keep her fingers out of Hange's mouth. She wasn't sure if she would be able to survive another hour like this.

(A/N): Hello everyone! Thank you for reading this far, I really appreciate all of your votes/comments! :)