Chapter 23: Pretending

Hange was sitting in the chair, arms crossed across her chest, head leaning forward. She was wearing her nightshirt and her hair was untied, falling messily in front of her face.

(Y/N) bit her lip when she realized Hange was sleeping. She hoped that her voice hadn't woken her, and she looked around, heart pounding. Should she run? But that would be mean...Hange had come in the middle of the night just to see her. But what would she say? She should definitely run. No (Y/N)! You can't run every time, she chastised herself.

Hange stirred and she stretched out her limbs, awoken by (Y/N)'s voice. She opened her eyes and seemed confused before she realized where she was.

"(Y/N), you're awake," she squinted, her glasses on her head. Her voice was deeper than usual with sleep.

"Hi," (Y/N) squeaked.

Hange's energy returned and she frowned, leaning forward. "(Y/N)! Do you know how worried you had me? You just left without any words! Poor Moblit was freaking out too, he didn't know where you went! Some scout told us that you had left with Levi for their expedition! Do you know how irresponsible that was?"

"S-sorry."

"Sorry won't cut it (Y/N)!" Hange yelled, her eyes blazing with anger.

"I—"

"You can't just join another squad and leave without saying anything! I can't believe your irresponsibility! If Levi finds out that I hadn't given you permission, then you'll be in big trouble! You can get kicked out of the corps if you disobey your section commander, did you know that?"

"I didn't...I didn't mean to," (Y/N) mumbled, tears rushing to her eyes. She didn't want to get kicked out. "Please don't tell Captain Levi, I'll do anything!"

The anger dissipated out of Hange's eyes when she noticed (Y/N)'s tears and she wilted in her seat. "Oh, (Y/N)...I don't want you kicked out of the corps either. But you had me so worried, you didn't know the plan or the cause of the expedition."

"But I managed to come back," (Y/N) smiled weakly.

"I was so worried that—," Hange's voice caught and she sniffled, "that something would happen to you."

(Y/N) looked at her hands, ashamed. "I really am sorry, Hange."

"And you got yourself injured," Hange stated softly, brushing her hand against (Y/N)'s cast. She noticed the cut on (Y/N)'s face and let her fingers skim over (Y/N)'s skin. Hange looked at (Y/N) tenderly, her hand lingering on (Y/N)'s face.

(Y/N) froze. Was Hange not going to mention what had happened? She was acting as if everything was normal between them...was that a good thing? Or was it a kinder method of rejection? It was eating (Y/N) alive.

Hange's face brightened suddenly and she leaned forward. "I guess it's time for me to repay the favor! I'll be your personal assistant until your arm heals!"

(Y/N) blinked, confused. Two seconds ago, Hange was furious and now she wanted to be her assistant? "I don't need an assistant, Hange! I'm sure I could manage!"

Hange frowned. "But you broke your right hand, so you won't be able to write or eat or do any work. I'll be your right hand, like how you were mine!"

(Y/N) didn't have the heart to tell Hange that she could use her left hand as well as her right. Hange looked so excited at the idea of helping (Y/N). She also didn't really want to interact with Hange as much due to her accidental confession, but it looked like Hange didn't care at all. Perhaps that was a good thing and they could remain friends and pretend like that hadn't happened. But (Y/N) couldn't help the ache that spread through her heart. Did Hange really not care?