Chapter 24: The Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Oh my god, Hange, that's beautiful!" She squealed. "How did you find this?"

"I was trying to explore more about the wildlife here and accidentally discovered it," Hange beamed.

(Y/N) walked closer to the lake and kneeled on the ground, letting her hand touch the cool water. A cool breeze passed by and tousled (Y/N)'s hair. She closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air. This was practically heaven.

"Want to wade in?" Hange asked, a grin spreading across her face.

"What about your specimens?"

"I can grab those later," Hange began to remove her shoes and rolled up her pants.

(Y/N) followed suit, struggling with taking off her shoes and socks with one hand, before wading into the water with Hange, shivering slightly when the cool water hit her feet. She wiggled her toes in the water and smiled, looking over at Hange. "This feels so nice."

Hange smiled back at her and looked towards the sky, closing her eyes. "I actually knew of this place for a while, honestly. I come here whenever I get too stressed or tired. It's calming."

(Y/N) looked over at Hange and was stunned by her beauty once again. Strands of Hange's brown hair had broken free from the ponytail and were swaying slightly in the wind. Her brown eyes reflected the beams of sunlight that were streaming through the branches. Her expression was one of pure content. She was just gorgeous.

"Well, it was a bad idea bringing me here," (Y/N) joked. "I might come here often."

"I'd enjoy the company," Hange looked her way and walked closer. She stood directly in front of (Y/N), just a finger's length away.

(Y/N)'s heart fluttered, and she averted her gaze, unable of maintaining eye contact with Hange for much longer. She was sure Hange knew the reason why she couldn't look at her anymore. She was sure Hange knew that (Y/N)'s cheeks were dusted with red because of her crush.

"I knew," Hange said softly.

"Huh?" (Y/N) looked up again, confused.

"About...your feelings. I knew all along."

(Y/N) inhaled sharply and felt her heart stop. What? No, that was impossible! She was sure she had been discrete...how could have Hange figured out? She looked back down at her feet, embarrassed. Her throat dried up and she had trouble coming up with words to say.

"I had a suspicion around the time you became my research assistant. It was the way you looked at me," Hange smiled, placing her hand under (Y/N)'s chin and lifting it up.

"Of course, I had my doubts when you claimed you liked Moblit, he was a plausible cause too. But when you slipped up and mentioned you liked girls; I was almost certain that you were talking about me. Though, when I saw you with Petra, I felt like I had been in the wrong...until I overheard your conversation," Hange admitted.

"Why didn't you say anything?" (Y/N) breathed. Hange really had known the entire time? Yet she still talked to her like they were friends, and even let (Y/N) give her a bath...

"You weren't ready," Hange responded, tilting her head closer to (Y/N)'s so their noses were almost touching. "I didn't want to rush you into something you weren't ready for. Which is why I hadn't said anything about the conversation I heard until now. I figured you've had enough time to emotionally prepare yourself."

(Y/N)'s chest ached. She stared directly into Hange's eyes, unsure of what to expect. What was Hange saying? What was her reaction? Did she think (Y/N) was weird? Hange's hand traveled from (Y/N)'s chin to her cheek. (Y/N) felt the roughness of Hange's hand on her cheek and she gulped.