Chapter 8.3

"You promise there's no Austin tonight?!" Can whispered and half yelled at Sammy at the same time. They were at the gallery opening of one of Sammy's friends, Maya Lawrence, a contemporary artist and painter. A girl who was a little strange but through Sammy, she became one of the friends Can trusted.

She liked to talk about mystical creatures and mythological legends. With a tone of voice like people who were explaining the current political conditions, or you know, Brexit. Or like Can and his LGBTQ activist friends talked about the same-sex marriage law that almost finished.

"I swear ... I checked and Mark said tonight they should attend a fundraiser for the hospital that is shaded by the Haverfield subsidiary," Sammy followed Can who was hiding in a secluded corner. Near a painting of a creature that was like a bird and like a horse pulling a carriage. Maya had told Can about this creature and what its name was but he had forgotten.

"Oh? Really?" Can sounded frustrated and incredulous. He took his antidepressant again regularly after 2 days he met Delilah. More because he thought he was starting to hallucinate about Delilah Adams and their meeting at the cafe.

Can remembered returning to the apartment and falling asleep. But when he woke up it looked as if he had never come out of his apartment at all. And he didn't like the idea that he started hallucinating so he started taking the medicine again. And he really thought he was hallucinating to see Tin from the other end of the room 2 minutes ago if he didn't hurry to meet Sammy who said indeed Tin was here.

It wouldn't be strange if Tin was here. Because even though 'eccentric', Maya's painting was quite famous in several European countries and the girl already had a name as one of the most talented young artists today. And also, this was a socialite event.

And Can trapped himself because he didn't want to disappoint Maya for not being come.

"I think I'll go to meet Maya and say goodbye."

"Can ... don't be like a child."

"He didn't understand Sam. I asked and he didn't understand. He just walked out the door and didn't hold on. If he really wanted this," Can pointed to himself, "He won't just give up. But he didn't want this! But I understand who wants a relationship with a tragedy like me!" Can knew he was lowering himself right now. And he felt a little sorry for the hurt look on Sammy's face. But it was true.

"Why don't you try to talk?"

"I tried to talk, okay? I came to his office. I came to him. And he turned me down. I gave him another chance and he didn't understand. He punched Sk-"

"Don't start," Sammy stopped Can, "Don't start with him. We agreed not to talk about that bastard."

Can took a deep breath, "I gotta go ..."

"Can," Sammy in her thin white satin blouse and blue skirt looked elegant and relaxed tonight. Can knew he came as a friend tonight, and so did Sammy. This was not a business night where Can had to force himself to interact with socialites or other celebrities to get contacts that could help his career.

"Hi, Can. Hi, Sammy," Maya's quirky, small voice startled the two of them. "You guys have tried the champagne? Not my favorite, but this gallery manager says the alcohol content is enough to make people appreciate my arts," said the girl with an innocent smile and handed them two tall, slim glasses.

"Sounds like an insult to me. You should look for another gallery if they belittle your work of art, Maya." Can and his knight's soul for truth-defending disliked those who often underestimated others.

"Where are your shoes?" Sammy asked after catching a glimpse of Maya didn't wear shoes.

"Something took it," whispered Maya full of mystery, and then chuckled. "Come on ... Since you guys asked about my shoes, I'll show you an illustration of the creature who took them."