"Then let them. I'll show them what I've got." He said stubbornly. He suddenly got up, making Taryn worried for a second before he bent down and helped her up as well. She felt her cheeks heat up at his actions, so she looked away and pretended to be interested in a potted plant nearby.

"Your mother won't be too pleased to find out that you've been getting into trouble."

Her statement seemed to sour Jean's mood instantly. "I don't care what that old hag thinks! Besides, I was only telling the truth. Those idiots think they're all high and mighty when I'm probably more skilled than all of them combined." He crossed his arms, his voice going up a few octaves which Taryn learned was a clear sign that he was annoyed.

She sighed. "Alright," Tugging on his sleeve, she led the boy away and started making her way back. "Let's go home. It's still early in the morning but you almost got into a fight again..."

The two of them walked side by side, chatting about all kinds of nonsense. It was already noon by the time they got back which says a lot about how far they wandered off. Eventually, they reached Jean's house and Taryn could smell the mouthwatering scent of his mother's cooking. She had to admit, his mother was a talented cook, and it pained her to see Jean take all of it for granted. Talk about being ungrateful.

They halted to a stop in front of his door, the tall mahogany wood towering over the both of them. "See you later then." She greeted.

Her house was just a few minutes away from his so it wasn't unusual that they see each other often. She was about to get going already when Jean suddenly grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him.

It was a normal gesture between them, nothing else, yet somehow Taryn couldn't help but feel flustered. She glanced at him and tried her best to hide her disappointment when he let go of her. "What?"

"Stay over for lunch." He suggested nonchalantly.

She would be lying if she said she wasn't tempted by the offer. Of all the times she had stayed over, his mother never failed to make her feel welcome and to satisfy her appetite. Seeing how well they got along seemed to annoy Jean as well, so that was another perk.

However, her mother was expecting her to be home, and she also needed to finish packing. "I don't wanna intrude. Shouldn't you be spending more time with your family? We're leaving tomorrow, you know."

The boy only rolled his eyes at her. "I've spent enough time with them to last me a decade. But alright, see you later."

He waved her off, before proceeding to dramatically kick his door open. She could hear his mother scold him as he entered, with Jean yelling back at her with the same energy. Taryn could only chuckle at their confusing relationship. She knew that even with all their disagreements, the two still loved each other very much. Jean just has a—uh, different way of showing it.

As she trudged through the busy streets, Taryn's mind was filled with the things that would await her at military training. She had originally never thought of being a soldier in the first place, until Jean's talks of a comfortable life in the Interior eventually swayed her. She wanted to experience living in the wealthy districts, wanted to experience the benefits, not to mention the power and honor that comes from working close to the King. To say that it would make her parents proud would be an understatement.

There was also another reason, although she would never admit it to anyone. Not even to herself.

She hummed as she skipped along the stone path, playing a game in her mind with the patterns on the ground. She reached her house in no time, a busy sight welcoming her as she entered the threshold. Her mother was in the kitchen, diligently preparing their meal. She could see Francis in the dining room, setting the table. And her father, well...