Why could life not be grand from dusk to dawn? Why did the fairy dust of the ball have to blow away? Why did true feelings have to come to the surface?

Almost as if to taunt her, Princess Adeline heard the loose stones beneath the balcony crunch against one another. She turned her glance down upon the path and exhaled glum disgust of irony. There plodded Prince Darrik, kicking rocks without any ferocity, without drive or purpose.

Well, at least he looks miserable too, Adeline contemplated. I suppose that should make me feel – well, not happy, but just not as gloomy. I am not so alone then. We can be similar in shame, sorrow, or whatever this weird feeling may be.

Princess Adeline leaned her elbows on the parapet and tried not to blame Darrik for causing this conundrum. She had to convince herself that it would be more heart breaking to be married to someone that did not love her in return, than this current pain. It was going to be a difficult task, but someday she would believe it. Someday when she had forgotten his boyish bangs, his stellar, white smile, his carefree joie de vivre. Adeline rested her chin on her knuckles in semi-defeat. Truly, it was going to be an exhausting bit of persuasion to let Prince Darrik flee from her dreams.

At that moment, the prince realized he was being watched. Darrik looked towards the heavens and saw the princess observing him. She did not avoid his gaze or dash away from the balcony's edge in embarrassment. She simply matched his vision, never flinching, never beaming. If he could see himself from her perspective, Prince Darrik would have known his demeanor was much the same.

"Hi," Princess Adeline said, her head never leaving its docking on her hand.

Prince Darrik waved once, only with his fingers, "Hi."

Silence.

"You okay?" he asked.

Adeline shrugged. "Sure."

Darrik nodded.

There did not seem to be much more to be said. They were both so monotone and pathetic, everything was clear. They understood one another's sad plight. And really this was reassuring. No secrets, no unnecessary drama, just a head nod that said, "It's okay. I feel it too."

Of course, Adeline considered, he doesn't have to war within himself about what step to take next. Can I really go to the Cave of Lost Memories? Can I really keep away?

Prince Darrik had no idea what she was thinking, which sort of troubled him because before the ball he assumed he could read her mind. They were friends then, not perfect but at least they entertained and encouraged one another. And now...the gap between them was growing with each lingering hour. He blamed himself for producing this morbid change in the once blossoming and spirited princess. Guilt had kept him away from crossing her path. What was there to say anymore? Their prospects of redeeming one another's ruling reputations were long gone. The strings of their lives had crossed without becoming entwined. They were not meant to be together, and this fact was not one he could face bravely on his own.

Prince Darrik shrugged his shoulders, "Well, good night, Your Majesty."

"Right back at you," Adeline replied, desperately trying to come across as playful and, consequently, desperately failing.

Darrik nodded and continued his sulking, stone-kicking promenade around the palace. Princess Adeline made sure to hold in the sigh she felt appropriate, knowing the sound of woe might crush him further. She did not like to see Darrik wallowing in misery. Though he could never be her Prince Charming, she never desired to see him unhappy. She liked him too much.